Memorial Day Weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
toejam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Memorial Day Weekend

Post by toejam »

If you had a couple of days off early in the season and wanted to get into the woods away from the crowds, where would you go? What places are normally overlooked and get very little traffic anyway? Domeland? Hetch Hetchy? Emigrant? End of a dirt road?

Not looking for spectacular scenery necessarily, just time away. And I understand keeping your favorite spots quiet.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Post by maverick »

Where are you driving from?
How many miles a day are you comfortable doing? How many days are you exactly talking
about?
The main places like Rancheria, Merced River Corridor, and Paradise Valley will probably
be quite busy now.
Vernon Lake might be fine, and if you want more solitude than Kibbie Lake is pretty.
Merced Lake is far enough in that it will not be over run yet, and if there are more
for your taste than continue on up to Washburn which you'll have all to yourself and
is much prettier.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Not sure what the snow level is right now, but you could probably head up Kibbie Ridge (same trailhead as Kibbie Lake) far enough (i.e., just past Lookout Point) to drop down into Cherry Creek Canyon.
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

I'm coming from the south. 5-15 miles/day for 3 days. I love to climb but hate camping in the snow.

Looking for something wooded with water that people often overlook because it's "boring."
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Kibbie Lake, though not boring may be what your looking for though a little
bit far for only 3 days(2 nights).
Domeland Wilderness should be good to, and much closer for you if your coming
up from the south.
The Cannell Meadow National Rec Trail in Sequoia NF north of Kernville is a cool
trip this time of year.
The Little Kern River via the Clicks Creek Trail in the Golden Trout Wilderness
is a good option too.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

If you go into the Emigrant Wilderness I bet you won't see anyone else up there. Hwy 108 over Sonora pass is open, so you can get up to Kennedy Meadows and go in from there. You'll hit some snow, but should be able to find dry patches to camp on below about 8500 feet or so.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

toejam,
We hiked to the Rockhouse Basin in the Dome Land wilderness on Memorial Day weekend 2yrs ago only saw three day hikers that were fishing the whole trip. It can get pretty hot down there but it wasn't too bad on our trip. Here is a TR that I posted here with some pictures.
Gary C.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1845" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
toejam
Topix Acquainted

Post by toejam »

This is what I was hoping to hear.

Thanks guys.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

FISHPOLE wrote:Gary C. ? What ever happened to Ken ad Goldenstatetrout.com
GST went to a closed forum.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray