CONE PEAK

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
parxsmr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

CONE PEAK

Post by parxsmr »

http://parxsmr.smugmug.com/gallery/3245 ... 3357_3c95X" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by parxsmr on Thu May 21, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

I love Cone Peak. Went up there with my family a couple of years ago and spent the night on the deck of the tower. We just draped a tarp around the rail on the left(west) side. About 2AM the wind switched directions and started blowing from the south, right through where we were sleeping. Got the family up and switched to the north side to keep from getting blown away. The sunset and sunrise were awesome.

Great pictures, welcome to HST, and thanks for sharing.

will_jrob
Topix Acquainted

Re: CONE PEAK

Post by will_jrob »

Here's a shot of the trailsign , taken 05/12/2009. Plenty of burned terrain both sides of the mountain, a few spots burned to Hwy 1. Plenty of wild flowers along the trail, but summit views inland were hazy , probablyfrom the Santa Barbara fire.

More photo:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/572022605Olsbng
Last edited by will_jrob on Tue May 12, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

The road was open eh? I was up there a couple of weeks ago and the ridge road was still closed at Nacimiento-Ferguson.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Great pix!

Even though Cone Peak is nearby, I've only made the trek once, about 15 years ago. I discovered it purley by chance while exploring the area by car and upon noticing the trailhead sign was soon on my feet heading up the trail. Not too sure my wife, who followed me to the top, was thrilled with the spur of the moment hike in 90f+ temps with no water. Ah, the days of old.