Exped Downmat 7 Delux/Osprey Exos 58

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Exped Downmat 7 Delux/Osprey Exos 58

Post by oldranger »

Over the last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to try out new additions to my collection of packs and pads.

Exos Downmat 7 Delux--most comfortable bed ever for backpacking in my experience. Warm, wide, stable. Much more comfortable than any but the thickest thermarest. Much more stable than 20 inch wide Big Agnes insulated air core (warmer too). Downside: Heavy, more volume in pack, harder to blow up (need to use stuff sack and avoid blowing into mattress to keep down moisture free.) Last I saw there were still some available at considerable discount at Sierra Trading Post (note I think they are changing the inflation system to a built in pump. this may be an improvement but what if the pump breaks?)

Osprey Exos 58 backpack: After a 71/2 mile trek with 31 lbs. Comfort-best fitting most comfortable pack I've ever used. Though considered an internal frame close examination suggests the over used term "hybrid." The frame really is external but integral to the pack. There is a couple of inches of space between the tightly strung mesh backpanel and the pack bag itself. The belt seems to be custom made for my hips. There is ample space in the bag for a Bearicade weekender (650 cubes). Lots of pockets and storage. Adequate adjustability. weighs 2 lbs 3 oz (medium) Note for Gregorys and Golites and most other packs I take a large as my torso is that of a normal person but my legs barely reach the ground. This bag is about a one lb. reduction in weight and an increase in volume over my Golite Infinity packs and more comfortable (the infinity wasn't bad). This will somewhat reduce my weight tax of the Exped Downmat. Used my 20% off coupon from REI to make purchase. Downside: Some people question durability but I am pretty careful and don't sling my gear around carelessly so I don't see a downside yet.

Happy Hiking

Mike
Last edited by oldranger on Wed May 06, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Exped Downmat 7 Delux/Osprey Exos 58

Post by copeg »

I purchased an Exped mat earlier this year for snow camping (me) and summer camping (wife). The thing is true comfort. I think I have the newer version (it has an integrated pump). It is definitely a bit heavier than other sleeping mats, and I'm not sure I'd ever use it for summer camping myself, but I gotta say given the comfort the thought has crossed my mind.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

seems like there's a lot of options at: http://www.rei.com/search?query=exped Any input on why you chose the down vs the syn fill?

Definitely looks more comfortable than my current thermarest. Thicker is better for me, at least.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Russ

I wasn't even aware that Expeds had synthetic fill available until a couple of weeks ago. I bought the Downmats because there was a significant discount at Sierra Trading post.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

The synthetic version is heavier and has less R value. I get cold easily in the wilderness so I will stick with the Exped 9 for now, but I must admit, I am being temped by the NeoAir.It has half the R value, but the comfort level to weight ratio has to be considered. I have abused my Exped and never had a leak.

http://www.rei.com/CompareProduct/User" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien