Favorite Piece of gear.. Western Mountaineerings Sleeping ba

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorite Piece of gear.. Western Mountaineerings Sleeping ba

Post by fishmonger »

no problem - I wasn't really 100% in love with the idea of spending that kind of cash on a new bag just to save one pound from a bag that's overweight anyway. Perhaps this was a good thing to happen and now I can focus on the stuff that really matters this summer: Great trail food :unibrow:

Gotta buy two Bearikade weekenders, too, so the money is still being spent in the outdoor industry and for made in USA stuff.

I'm just going to freak when they bill me and send the bag later in September... which based on what I found out about their operation with my frequent phone calls is not completely out of the realm of possibilities. After all, they got my credit card number and were unable to confirm that my order was completely canceled (as they never could find it in the first place).

Been all over ebay for a bag lately, and almost pulled the trigger on an Antelope for $280ish, but again wasn't really committed. A long Helium came up again, but then the seller changed it to "oh, it's not long" - again, there's something happening that wants me to hold on to my money, I think.

6 1/2 weeks to go before the big yo-yo. Kids may need shoes again (bought some in Feb - now he at least seems to have outgrown them already.) Doh!
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

fishmonger, here is a link to a couple un-used WM bags for sale.
Gary C.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/classi ... 53945.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

Went to REI today and bought their Halo +25 Long bag - on sale for $180 and out the door for $60 after tax REI divident were applied. it weighs 960 grams and is appears better made than the older sub-Kilo bags my kids have. Not a super bag, but quite comfy, cut much better for me than the Helium I recently had, and has an almost full length zipper. It cuts a pound off my load and stuffs much smaller than my old bag. It'll be fine for a while and I have enough cash left for the two extra Bearikades we need this summer.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Good work! I'm utterly delighted with my sub-kilo, except that I had to get a third party to reoperate the zipper so it'd zip together with my spouse's.
—B²