Tioga Road plowing started?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tioga Road plowing started?

Post by maverick »

Ah yes I see they have finally updated thanks OR.
Where is your destination out of White Wolf OR, not GCT is it? If yes, I am also going
there but next week for 5 nights, I'll be starting from the Hetchy Ranger Station going
thru Smith Meadow, I will spend the first night at Waterwheel.
I am planning to get some moon light shots of Waterwheel and LeConte Falls, go to
Wildcat Point/Matte Lake, and also see if I can hike thru the Gorge.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Maverick,

Planning on checking out the fishing in the lakes near Pleasant Valley maybe even a day hike up Piute creek to the lower end of Benson.

If if warms up your trip up the gorge could be more than a little bit interesting. One of my all time best sunsets occurred on the West Rim of Mattie looking across the canyon toward Falls Ridge, Tuolumne, Grand, and Colby after 2 days of thunderstorms. If you had been there you'd have had a memorable photo. I think I have some shots from my Olympus XA somewhere.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have been to Matte, and the ridge that your referring to several years ago, but the
weather was clear, and unfortunately not nearly as dramatic as the one your describing.
I'm wishing for thunderstorms during the afternoons, and clearing by evenings
so I'll have the light(sun and moon) that I need for the photo's that I have envisioned.
The Tuolumne should be booming as well as the tributaries, which should make for some
great water photo's.
Tuolumne Peak is also in the plans, but if things are as great as I'm hoping than I'll
have more than enough to keep me busy in the Canyon.
Saddle Horse and Irwin Bright Lakes are all well worth visiting from Pleasant Valley
even more so than Benson with it's beach.
Heading down from Pleasant Valley following Piute Creek to the 2 falls is a worth while
endeavor, and quite pretty especially in the early season when the falls will be booming
and they will be at there best!
If you plan to visit them then leave the trail coming out of Pate Valley before the
trail starts up the switch backs and follow Piute Creek, staying on the eastern side
all the way up to Pleasant Valley, it will be one of the highlights of your trip.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mattie was fun twice, esp with Wildcat in the full moon. That ridge to the west is breathtaking. Maverick, if you do go there, let me know if there's still fish. The biggest at Mattie were up to 14". I know they removed all trout from Upper Mattie and the surrounding cold mountain complex.

I'm guessing you'd go up above California falls on the slick rock. What i now call the "young man's" path. If Upper Mattie still had fish, that's my favorite route.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sure thing Rlown, I'll keep an eye out for them trout, and yes I'll be going up
near the falls area, which will be flooded as it all ways is in the early season.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

looks like another 10" up at Tioga today, with this latest storm. Even White wolf got a few inches.

And the storm isn't done yet.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Looks like the road is getting drifted in again at Tioga Pass.:)
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

wish they're camera was more reliable.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Tioga road to open today (to the park gate only). I'll be up there this weekend to ride some corn. I'll post photos if I can.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hey BadMan,

How was the Corn?

Russ