August Trip Options

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: August Trip Options

Post by trav867 »

Thats one of the cool things about Wolverton- I've hiked out of there for a few different trips and each time enjoyed the fact that there is only 100 yards of backtracking if you do a loop.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

Speaking of permits...how difficult is it to get a permit for Wolverton or Lodgepole? If I hike in on a Thursday, is there likely to be any problem getting a walk-up permit the day before?
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Tom,

You can do a loop from sunset but it would eliminate a lot of time on the Tablelands. Sunset to Rowell Meadow, Seville, Lost, Ranger, Beville, Crescent, Silliman Crest, down to Box Canyon lakes, over to wf Ferguson lakes. Down wf ferguson to Ellis Meadow down old trail to mouth of box Canyon to Sugarloaf trail and out trail to Sunset meadow.

Downside of this trip is potential for god awful dust on Sugarloaf trail unless there has been recent rain but you don't really want that because of where you would be when the recent rain falls.

Your originial Idea of LP to Silliman and across the upper canyons and back across the Tablelands is not bad except my knees hurt just thinking of all the downhill the last day. Wait, what am I talking about? I did "down" over Taboose last summer!

Happy hiking

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Also long as its not 4th of July or Labor Day, you should be fine permit-wise. It seems like trailhead quotas are always at like 2 out of 12 at noon on Friday or Saturday when I'm getting my permit.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

oldranger wrote:You can do a loop from sunset but it would eliminate a lot of time on the Tablelands.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Not keen on all the forest walking...
Your originial Idea of LP to Silliman and across the upper canyons and back across the Tablelands is not bad except my knees hurt just thinking of all the downhill the last day.
Yeah...so far, my knees haven't been a problem at all, knock Formica, but I do feel the descent more than I used to.
Also long as its not 4th of July or Labor Day, you should be fine permit-wise. It seems like trailhead quotas are always at like 2 out of 12 at noon on Friday or Saturday when I'm getting my permit.
Good to know, thanks. Sounds like I'll be fine.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Just to throw in another wrinkle...I'm wondering now about traveling up the Silliman Lake drainage, which looks eminently doable...but the big question is whether there's a reasonable pass over to the Crowley Creek (looks cliffed out) or Horse Creek (looke more feasible) drainage. Has anyone done this? Any idea whether it would be workable?
DrWho
Topix Newbie

Post by DrWho »

TehipiteTom wrote: Box Canyon looks doable on the topo and in Google Earth--looks like there are gentler slopes west of the big headwall. I have a friend who's leading a Sierra Club trip there in July, so I can see how he fares.
By any chance is this Andy? I have been looking at doing his July trip route in September provided the route is not worse than Class 2 with maybe just a couple of spots of Class three where packs could be lowered/raise with a piece of webbing.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Yes, Andy's the one. Looks like an exciting route; I'm just going to be doing a portion of the cross-country he's doing.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Tom, you should easily be able to work your way up from Silliman lakes to the N of Silliman Peak then down the ridge to the trail to Ranger/Beville or ??? check out this link-- http://www.karpel.org/Ron/Reports1998/S ... 81998.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
DrWho
Topix Newbie

Post by DrWho »

TehipiteTom wrote:Yes, Andy's the one. Looks like an exciting route; I'm just going to be doing a portion of the cross-country he's doing.
I have read Andy's writeup and it looks like a lot of fun. It definitely off the beaten path in an area that I have always wanted to visit for the past 30 years. I will e-mail him directly and ask for more details. Thank you.