Alternative Energy Backpacking

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Alternative Energy Backpacking

Post by dave54 »

The solar chargers do not work, which is why you rarely see them on the trail (no one brings it along twice, after experiencing its uselessness the first trip).

I am not certain all those things you mentioned are all that beneficial. Is dehydrating your own food more energy efficient than purchasing it? The food companies have large industrial food dryers, giving economy of scale. On a per pound basis do they use more energy than a small home unit? The prepared food must be transported to your home, but so does the fresh food you dry yourself. There are many reasons to dry your own food, but I am not convinced there is an overall energy saving.

Campfires are unsightly, but the true ecological impact is far less than most people think (below the tree line. Above the tree line different factors come into play.) You are simply burning wood that otherwise would burn in a future wildfire, hastening the nutrient and carbon cycling process. Is that less of an overall impact than burning fossil fuel? I do not generally have a campfire, but that is for personal reasons, not altruistic environmental reasons.

There have been only a few studies exploring the total carbon footprint of various human powered outdoor pursuits, with mixed results. Some published results have been very unsettling and uncomfortable. Backpacking itself is not a no-impact benign activity and the effects are identified and quantified.

I am unsure what others have posted here about mp3 players. I do not listen to mine while on the trail. That is foolish. I have used mine at night to listen to a few chapters of a book I am currently enjoying. Indeed, the proper book is a fine complement to the trip (like listening to John Muir's writings while camping in the Desolation Wilderness or John Wesley Powell's journal while on a trip down the Green River). I have the Audubon Society's recording of bird songs loaded into mine also. On more than one occasion it has helped me identify a species I heard but could not locate.

A practice not mentioned, and a pet peeve of mine, involves the bright neon colors found on clothing and gear. They are visible from a long distance, and other groups on the trail or in camp look like the circus came to town. Choosing more muted colors like greens and earth tones reduce the visual impact in an increasingly crowded backcountry. You can always have a single article of clothing of bright color stuffed in your pack for the rare instance when visibility is desired.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

dave54 wrote:There have been only a few studies exploring the total carbon footprint of various human powered outdoor pursuits, with mixed results. Some published results have been very unsettling and uncomfortable. Backpacking itself is not a no-impact benign activity and the effects are identified and quantified.
If you get the chance, Dave, I'd like to know more about these studies; do you have any citations?
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm concerned we're giving the wrong impression here. I agree that MP3 Players used on the trail by your trailmates are annoying. But to say that you are such a mountain god that you shouldn't carry a GPS, is a little over the edge.

GPS are fine to have if you get confused by the map (which should also be in your possession.) You just have to realize they can fail, and you better know the area and the map, and have extra warm batteries for the beast.

As for carbon footprint, I drive at least 500 miles from the bay area to get to where i want to go. Not much i can do about that. I also know that most of my gear burned something to be made. It's not something that can be solved easily. I would like to say that when i go, there are usually 4 of us; not one. So, i think i'm at least trying to reduce that impact.

And yes, the concensus on solar chargers i think is correct. they don't work unless you have lay-over days and there's good sun and you can leave your MP3, camera or whatever plugged in.

Random thoughts for a rainy/snowy day.

Russ
trav867
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by trav867 »

Since this is an alternative energy thread I think I can say this without risk of bodily harm- Cutting beef out of your menu (backpacking and otherwise) goes a very long way to reducing your carbon footprint. Not hard to do when backpacking, just substitute beef jerky for turkey.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

trav867 wrote:Since this is an alternative energy thread I think I can say this without risk of bodily harm- Cutting beef out of your menu (backpacking and otherwise) goes a very long way to reducing your carbon footprint. Not hard to do when backpacking, just substitute beef jerky for turkey.
Umm, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything here, but how can switching to turkey from beef create a smaller carbon footprint?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

rlown wrote: . . . But to say that you are such a mountain god that you shouldn't carry a GPS, is a little over the edge. . .
No, I'm not a mountain god, I'm more of a mountain man. If you want to carry a GPS, more power (ha! no pun intended) to you. Don't listen to me.

I admire what the early explorers accomplished with what they had back in the 1800's and they didn't have a GPS. What did we do a mere 10 years ago when GPS's weren't around? Did we not enjoy backpacking back then? My question is this, has having a GPS enhanced your backcountry experience? If so, great!

I personally like to leave modern technology at home. It's my feeble attempt at trying to emulate the early explorers. I find simple pleasures in the backcountry more rewarding when you have to earn it for yourself. For example, the challenge of route finding with a map and compass. But hey, thats just me and my style.

I am no mountain god but I do know of a mountain goddess. Her name is Snow Nymph. Her accomplishments are totally over the edge!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Not sure what to do with that last comment, so i'll leave it alone.

My 1.5" stack of maps under the bed and even some stored in the triangular shipping boxes from the distant past are great. I always carry a map, but i've been snowed and fogged out enough that i like the GPS for that alone. Not to mention it shortens my path if i need it to when there's controversy on where we're actually going. Plus, it includes my radio capability. I'm all for the natural experience, but if things go wrong, i like having the GPS/radio.

Russ
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

rlown wrote:Not sure what to do with that last comment, so i'll leave it alone. . .
Just a play on words with your original quote. ("mountain god, over the edge" etc.)

Since I've been a member of HST, Snow Nymph by far has impressed me with all of the peak bagging she has done over the years. So IMHO she has earned the title of "mountain goddess".

That is all
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

cmon4day wrote: Since I've been a member of HST, Snow Nymph by far has impressed me with all of the peak bagging she has done over the years. So IMHO she has earned the title of "mountain goddess".
+1
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok then.. back to Alternative Energy Backpacking..

Has anyone had any luck with solar chargers, regardless of what device someone might take into the backcountry for their own entertainment/safety? I'm thinking they're only effective if you have a layover day with a lot of Sun, and the appropriate connectors/support. Can't really think of any other alternative sources of power, other than enough batteries for the planned length of the trip.

If we want to go down the carbon footprint path, we can but in general, human carbon footprints suck.