Morris Peak / Mount Jenkins - 04.25.09

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Morris Peak / Mount Jenkins - 04.25.09

Post by Ranboze »

Sooz, Chip, Joe and I started at Walker Pass and followed the PCT to a saddle on the SW slope of Morris Peak where we followed a good use trail to the summit of Morris. We descended the NW slope of Morris, following a faint use trail, and intersected with the PCT. We proceeded to the Mount Jenkins plaque at N35 41.848 W117 59.071. We found a misleading duck, marking the east ridge at N35 42.003 W117 58.896. We, in error, headed for the summit up this ridge, only to eventually see that to get to the summit from this point would require a lot more energy, route finding, and boulder scrambling than heading back down to the PCT and continuing on. We found the CORRECT junction for the Mt. Jenkins use trail at N35 42.605 W117 59.061, which is 1.3 miles beyond the Jenkins plaque. The use trail to the summit is well defined and very well ducked. There's a great bomber descent route that starts at the saddle below the summit at N35 42.570 W117 59.400 and intersects the PCT at N35 42.457 W117 59.306. There's another obvious phenomenal bomber route much further down the trail, near the switchbacks. We met Sierragator along the way and he gave us some invaluable information, and his footsteps were very helpful - THANX for the tips, Jim!

PHOTOS
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Morris Peak / Mount Jenkins - 04.25.09

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Nice pics, Robin. Great day. Here are my pics...
http://trailtrekker.smugmug.com/gallery ... 4885_f2kuC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;