Sequoia Decides to Fully Protect Resources

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

AldeFarte wrote:Pardon me Admin, but not all grazing is bad.
:-k Did I say it was? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your comment to me?
AldeFarte...I try to stay as neutral as possible on these forums so people won’t be as likely to label this place left or right, or one way or another. I post all articles I come across regardless of the viewpoints they convey. Cutting and pasting an article does not make that article my opinion. My only goal in posting these articles is to inform and stimulate discussion.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

hikerduane wrote:I don't know why they are concerned about the alders reestablishing themselves. If they are in the area they will come around in short order. The creek I live on, has had the alder fill in where needed. Not every year is a success for them to get a start. Once they start from seed, stand back, they grow pretty fast.
Alders are fascinating. As nitrogen fixers they are sometimes used in reforesting very poor soils. An alder plantation will rebuild the soil as they grow to commercial size in 10-15 years. Then harvest the alder as fiber and replant the now fertile soil with conifers. The accelerated conifer growth will more than compensate for the 15 year delay in immediate reforestation.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
AldeFarte
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by AldeFarte »

Admin, I apologize and stand in corrected shoes! It wasn't meant as a castigation. More of a chiding. I had tunnel vision after I read the article and could not see the forest through the trees. jls :(
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

JM21760 wrote:Aaaaaaaamen Steve! Tons of cows around Highland Lakes.
Save a tree, remove a "BUSH"!
Bush own them cows???
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

Good stuff Dave. I noticed slide 13 (the PDF files) had a picture of Bridgeport "Big Meadows"
dave54 wrote: Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth said in a speech "The worst managed ranch is still better wildlife habitat than the best subdivision."
I liked this line. Makes you think twice before you cut of your nose simply because you stepped in a cow pie.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

AldeFarte wrote:Admin, I apologize and stand in corrected shoes! It wasn't meant as a castigation. More of a chiding. I had tunnel vision after I read the article and could not see the forest through the trees. jls :(
No worries! :cool:

Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

JM21760 wrote:How did Nature ever survive without Cows for thousands of years?
Same way it survives now and will continue to survive. Of course it willl be different "looking" in the future just as it was different in the past. Change happens.
It would be a disgrace for a meadow to naturally progress to forest, as God and Nature intended.
It would not be a disgrace if it was left to turn to forest just as it is not a disgrace to manage it in a way that is beneficial. Mother Nature is a cruel beotch.(had to bypass the curse filter) To allow her to have her way would mean population explositions, followed by predator increases and habitat destruction and finally population crashes. What is wrong with stepping in to manage such natural cycles? (I know it's a tad off topic from trees). The bottom line is we are a part of the environment. With limited and often times dwindling resources (acreage) proper managemant for the benefit of all and for the future is the only sensible course

It' s all about money.
Not that there is anything wrong with money as a motivator...but maybe you should read some of what Dave posted. As to the money question....those making the profit NEED a healthy forrest to secure their income for the future...maybe they have the biggest stake in a healthy forrest .
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

JM, it would be nice if we all realized that our lifetimes are but a blink of an eye in this big old world. Instead of thinking in terms of our lifetimes ,we should think in 1000 year cycles. We must manage our resources. Like it ,or not. Benign neglect is still management. Only it is not sound management. Just as allowing cattle to seasonally graze in SELECTED areas means more habitat for birds and other beasties of the wild country. To me it makes perfect sense. Just as allowing the private sector to cull cougars , sheep, wolves, deer, etc. will keep the rest of the population healthy. Heck, they will pay to do it ,instead of using precious guberment monies wrung out of hapless taxpayers. We all dig the sierras for what they are in our lifetime. I submit they are what they are today, because our greedy capitalist pig system has made it what it is. One way ,or another. I for one am appreciative of what we have, and why we have it. I agree with Dave and I agree with you on the drunkin hunter thing. Disgusting! Why would anyone want to ruin their buzz by getting drunk in Gods country?jls
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

In case some of you missed the news release.

The grazing fee for the western U.S. was just revised to $1.56 per AUM. Less than last year's $1.79 but still above the legal minimum of $1.35.

The fee is determined by a Congressional formula which includes, among other factors, private land grazing costs and current market prices for livestock.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
wingding

Post by wingding »

thanks dave54