HST Backcountry Meeting

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

HST Backcountry Meeting

Post by maverick »

Would you all be interested in having a HST get together in some remote location
of the Sierra?
It could be this year, but if to many have set plans than maybe for the 2010 season.
Let see how much interest there is and than we can chat about time, dates, and of
coarse locations.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: HST Backcountry Meeting

Post by balzaccom »

HI Maverick

No offense, but I go into the SIerra to get away from people, and the idea of meeting up with a lot of people there doens't appeal.

But I/m up for meeting somewhere else! Where does everyone live? I'd be happy to get together somewhere and share stories, photos, maps, and trip plans!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Balzaccom

No offense taken I hike solo my self so I understand what your saying.
This could be a 1 day layover, or a passing on thru on your way to your destination
thing.
I am not saying hanging out for several days.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I don't know when or if I could make it but I think meeting up for an afternoon and night around a campfire is a heck of an idea.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I think most of us Sierra veterans prefer to hike solo...in fact, would not have it any other way.
It is hard/almost impossible to find similar-minded souls that have the necessary mind set, the gear, know what they are doing, have the available free time, understanding wives, and comprehend/relish under the agony. I feel that those of us that do these longer solitary treks are far in the minority of all those backpackers of those I usually run across.

In addition, most of us are ornery, set in our ways, hate rules per se, respect the Sierra as Sacred, and relish/thrive under the multiple days of solitude. I consider these individuals as blessed...the Jeremiah Johnson's of HST...all equals but rare birds indeed. Maybe that is what holds this forum together, as we obviously have often crossed trail paths in the past, but never seem to meet. We generally congregate only through the written words here.

While a large HST “joint”-meeting would be indeed enjoyable, (tried a few times before too), perhaps some drive-in site would be easier for the masses...would be able to accommodate wives and families better.
This is different. What we are proposing here, (and correct me if I am wrong ...again), is that a few intrepid souls, all solo, all meeting the criteria above, who happen to be in Yosemite at the time...15 miles in from different trailheads, join up somewhere and swap lies for a day or so...some continuing on together primarily for safety reasons on a somewhat perilous, x-country segment of the Sierra.
Just by chance, a few of us have potentially come together for a grand adventure this summer…who knows if it will even pan out.
We are all self-contained, and if something prevents the scheduled meeting, all will still proceed merrily along on each one’s chosen route anyway…perhaps momentarily regretting not meeting up, but not really caring as it is the journey that matters not the destination.

I invite any and all to join in…I am going anyway, but realistically, doubt if anybody else not invited yet will show…hope they do. I am going for the fishing.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

You are correct on most of your points, I get a very lonely feeling at some lakes/spots and may continue on until things feel better. Like Amphitheatre Lake last summer, I almost stayed, but didn't really like the campsite options. Next time, might feel different.

I feel a trip after the bping season is about over, Sept.? Sounds like you are thinking during the summer markskor.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

In the past we have done a carcamp/day trip which was pretty successful. Once in Death Valley and once in the Sierra. Both had a big turnout, 16 for DV, not sure how many for the Sierra. There was a smaller get together for a snow camp at Rock Creek (hikerduane, Ridgeline, Trailbud, Trekker).

I won't be backpacking unless Scott goes, and he's not into the group trips. But I'm always up for a day trip in the Sierra.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cbert
Topix Novice

Re: HST Backcountry Meeting - how about

Post by cbert »

Thousand Island Lake on August 8th (Saturday)?

Just my self-centered suggestion: 8/8 is my 43rd b-day & Thousand Island Lake is mile 43 on the JMT.

Not too bad a spot though, as it can be reached in a longish day from Mammoth or slightly more so Tuolumne & is a classic Sierra spot.

Anyway, my experience is these things can be fun & only happen if you pick a spot & date and see who shows up.

Alternately, Dollar Lake is pretty close to where mile 43 would be if starting from the historical beginning of the JMT from atop Whitney, but Baxter Pass is a bit more effort :)

Peace,

-Cary
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Cary,
I will be there (1000 Island Lake area), but 1 month earlier...permit in hand as I type...says 12 days starting on July 8, out of Tuolumne....Ice off!
A few years back hooked into a 6-pound 'Bow there, but I am not saying where exactly.
Maybe meet you on the trail sometime. Want to come along a bit earlier?
Also live Sacramento area too.
Mark
Was that an Eagle Claw Trailmaster I saw with the Golden?
Mountainman who swims with trout
cbert
Topix Novice

Post by cbert »

Aye, that is the rod - 6'6" packrod, but I love the fiberglass action - much softer than the graphite rods mostly on the market.

Hope you have a great trip - I went in about that time 2 years ago & it was perfect. Did Yosemite to Mammoth. This year I'm doing Bishop Pass to Lamarck Col in mid July & have to be at work first week of July since boss will be out.