Yvon Chouinard

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
JM21760
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Yvon Chouinard

Post by JM21760 »

Yosemite big wall pioneer, Yvon Chouinard. I want to meet this man. I'm pretty square with his beliefs. This is an interview with the legend, which I hope fits into this thread as "Quotes". His adventures are remarkable. Check it out.

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/200403/interview.asp
Skibum
Founding Member

Post by Skibum »

Yep, he's one of my heros too. I just read his latest book "Let my people go surfing". It was pretty good. :thumbsup:
Bearlover
Founding Member

He is truly a great pioneer.. self effacing at that.

Post by Bearlover »

I choose to sleep under a Yvon Chouinard pyramid tent.. simple efficient shelter.. I don't know the guy but judging from his designs.. I like him. Between him and Ray Jardine is a toss up for MVP backcountry enthusiast of the century.
There is a Bear.. Where? Over there!
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Chouinard: ...If I were 20 or 30 years younger, I’d get out of the country, because just by living here I feel like I’m supporting the Bush administration.
I invite him to get his arse out now. Statements like that make me inclined to view him as an extremist and forget all of his good accomplishments.

On the flip side, here is a picture of him in the 1950's on the porch of the Jenny Lake Ranger station in the Tetons. My dad took this of Yvon, John Gill, and Ken Weeks clowning around.

ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

My Chouinard ski poles are "my lucky poles". Their clothing line is the best, finally a shirt that wicks the way they are supposed to!
http://community.webshots.com/photo/505 ... 9326QlGjVL
There was an article I read once where Yvone said that saying he was a businessman was like saying you were an alcaholic at an AA meeting.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Ditto's Mountaineer. I can't figure guys like that out. When clinton was busy doing his evil deeds, I just hunkered down and prayed for blue skies. The worm always turns. jls