Llamas over Italy Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Llamas over Italy Pass

Post by paul »

[quote="ndwoods"] However....coming out Hilgard Branch there is one section that is soooo narrow with a drop off... has been damaged by weather that I would most definately not take stock on it. Very narrow closed in walls in a place or two as well. quote]
I second the motion on that. I went through there last year in early May on a ski trip (had to walk at that point) and that is a pretty funky bit of trail - kind of crawls up and down along the steep side of a narrow gully, wooded and brushy. It's a short section, but there's no way around it if you want to go up or down the Hilgard Branch. Above that, or below it, it's very easy going to Lake Italy, but that one bit would be the only problem.
Jmma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Llamas over Italy Pass

Post by Jmma »

Just saw this post.There are a lot of step ups and ledges on either side of Italy pass.Calling it a trail is a bit of a stretch.There is a trail visable wherever there is dirt but once you get to 11,000ft is all rock and you try to follow ducks and pick the line of least resistance.I wouldnt try it unless you can lift a Lama up a 6ft ledge.