A Place to Store Backpack at Tuolumne Meadows?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

A Place to Store Backpack at Tuolumne Meadows?

Post by sierranomad »

Hi:

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems to be the most appropriate.

A friend and I are going to hike the JMT this summer. We were able to get permit starting at TM. What we'd like to do is store our backpacks somewhere at TM and hike from YV to TM in one day.

Have any of you done this? Is there a place to store backpacks at TM? Of course, bear lockers came first to mind, but we would be concerned about theft.

Thanks for any input,

Jon
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A Place to Store Backpack at Tuolumne Meadows?

Post by fishmonger »

ask the rangers when you're there. Or some long term campers in the big campground - there are plent of big RVs that may take your packs for a day or two. The only other thing I can think of would be to mail it to yourself, general delivery, at the mini post office in the store up there. Probably not cheap given size and weight.

Not sure how you plan the logistics to get down to the valley in the early morning without a pack/gear to stay overnight before your hike, though.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Can't answer the backpack storage thing, but YV to Tuolumne in a day ? Dude, that would wipe me out, even if I could make it.
It'd be much easier (although still difficult) to hike from TM to YV (mostly downhill), spend the night, at, say Curry Village, then catch the shuttle back to TM the next day. Just something to think about.
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

fishmonger wrote: Not sure how you plan the logistics to get down to the valley in the early morning without a pack/gear to stay overnight before your hike, though.
The Other Tom wrote:Can't answer the backpack storage thing, but YV to Tuolumne in a day ? Dude, that would wipe me out, even if I could make it.
It'd be much easier (although still difficult) to hike from TM to YV (mostly downhill), spend the night, at, say Curry Village, then catch the shuttle back to TM the next day. Just something to think about.
Yeah, I know. Two valid points.

The logistics are tricky, and haven't worked it out yet. Only thing I can think of is to arrive at YV early am day of hike; but that would mean leaving home about midnight (drive to TM, drop off gear somehow, drive to YV)..and would still have the issue of having one car parked in YV w/o parking permit. Also, we would not be rested before a very strenuous day.

I've done TM to YV in one day several times and it's not bad, but I do realize that the reverse route is another animal entirely. Your suggestion about hiking TM to YV and taking shuttle back is a good one. That would also solve the logistics problem.

I'll have my buddy take a look at this thread and see what he thinks.

Thanks a bunch!
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just a thought, but the store employees in Tuolumne or at the climbing shop (all housed in the tarp tents) are usually open to making a few quick bucks...say offering $20 to one to hold it safe in their tent. I have done this a few times with no problems and ...they are not going anywhere.
A smile and cash usually works wonders. Ask around...maybe at the grill too.
Mountainman who swims with trout
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

Hadn't thought of that, sounds like a great idea. Thanks Markskor!
Jon

fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

sierranomad wrote: The logistics are tricky, and haven't worked it out yet. Only thing I can think of is to arrive at YV early am day of hike; but that would mean leaving home about midnight (drive to TM, drop off gear somehow, drive to YV)..and would still have the issue of having one car parked in YV w/o parking permit. Also, we would not be rested before a very strenuous day.

I've done TM to YV in one day several times and it's not bad, but I do realize that the reverse route is another animal entirely. Your suggestion about hiking TM to YV and taking shuttle back is a good one. That would also solve the logistics problem.

Thanks a bunch!
YV to TM in a day is not difficult if you are in shape, especially with a light pack. If you know you can do the miles, it should not be a problem. I've done up to 42 miles in a day with full pack on the JMT, but usually my big days come near the end of the hike (when I am finally in shape :unibrow: )

Logistics - I've been wondering about the same (start early but not having a place to stay in the valley, as everything is booked solid down there). we plan on starting a JMT yo-yo at Happy Isles in late June this year, but have no reservation, which means we're hanging out at TM the days before, hitting the ranger station each morning to get a permit for the next morning. Once we get one, we'll basically have to drive down from TM the day of the hike, which takes well over an hour. We just want to make it to Sunrise HSC, but with full gear and two kids on the team who usually need a few days to get up to full speed, so I want to get going asap that morning.

There's a backpacker campground on the other end of the valley that could be used - anyone know how long it takes to get from there to Happy Isles in the morning? And can I park my vehicle at the trailhead the night before my hike? Do you need a permit these days for parking at a trailhead? I better start reading up on the details...

The one thing about starting at Happy Isles is that I want to be GONE before the first day hikers arrive. I hate that part of the JMT with a passion after some boom-box carrying punk pushed me off the trail in 1989 (that was before ipods were cool... and there were only inches that kept me from a nasty fall...). I haven't been back to Happy Isles since that day.

Right now, my plan is to leave TM at about 5am, so we can be on the trail before 7am, perhaps even an hour earlier, which will be difficult, since I have two 11-year-olds to wake up at insane-o-clock... sleeping in the valley the night before the hike would be much more to their liking.
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

fishmonger wrote:, but usually my big days come near the end of the hike (when I am finally in shape :unibrow: )
Yeah, that's the reason for a little concern. 1rst day. But I'll just have to put more effort into pre-trip conditioning.

fishmonger wrote: but have no reservation, which means we're hanging out at TM the days before, hitting the ranger station each morning to get a permit for the next morning.
Is there a reason that you're not going to go for a permit at the YV Wilderness Center? It seems like this would make things much easier. (ah, maybe you couldn't get a YV campsite/accomodations?)
fishmonger wrote: There's a backpacker campground on the other end of the valley that could be used - anyone know how long it takes to get from there to Happy Isles in the morning? And can I park my vehicle at the trailhead the night before my hike? Do you need a permit these days for parking at a trailhead?
It should take about 15-30 minutes of walking. The bp campground is on the other side of the river from North Pines Campground. To park your vehicle overnight in TH parking you need a permit to put in your window. You are given this when you pick up your wilderness permit. It used to be that the permit was just a photocopy, and nothing to indicate date. I just kept mine and used it in cases where it would have been a pain to get the permit before parking. But now the permits are dated, and I think initialed.
Jon

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Yose currently posts a "no lock" policy on their food storage lockers. It might be nice if they just chose to "rent" locks that could be used personally for such storage needs, similar to bear canisters. One in my party left his tennies in a locker last year and they were stolen. We wanted to put a lock on the storage unit, but we thought the park would just cut it off.

Russ
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

sierranomad wrote:
Is there a reason that you're not going to go for a permit at the YV Wilderness Center? It seems like this would make things much easier. (ah, maybe you couldn't get a YV campsite/accomodations?)

It should take about 15-30 minutes of walking. The bp campground is on the other side of the river from North Pines Campground. To park your vehicle overnight in TH parking you need a permit to put in your window. You are given this when you pick up your wilderness permit. It used to be that the permit was just a photocopy, and nothing to indicate date. I just kept mine and used it in cases where it would have been a pain to get the permit before parking. But now the permits are dated, and I think initialed.
reason for getting the permit in Tuolumne Meadows:

If I get the permit on the day of the hike, it's too late, even if I do it in the valley. They open too late. I want to be 2 hours on the trail by the time they open the door. However, since you can get the permit a day BEFORE your hike date as a walk in, we'll be at the TM ranger station on the day before the hike. It also opens the valley ranger station, and there we'll apply for a pass-through permit on the following day.

If we don't get a permit for that day, we just come back the next day and spend the night in TM, which I prefer much over the valley.

Then on the day we get the permit, we can go down to the vally and sleep in the backpacker camp if they let you park the car at the trailhead the night before the hike (I recall vaguely that this is possible, but I am not sure) Could ask the rangers, too, to change that permit for the car. It's going to be there for a long time anyway, so what's the one extra day :D Worst case we drive down very early on the day of the hike.

and regarding car permit - guess that means my car cover can stay home. doh.

oh - another reason for TM - if we get totally ticked off with not getting a permit in the valley, we'll just get one up there and leave out the first section. I never considered that section of the trail a big "must see," but my kids haven't been there yet, nor would our hike be a proper "yo-yo" if we don't start at the beginning.