Ultimate Sierra Trip?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ultimate Sierra Trip?

Post by maverick »

I met a guy out there who was doing some fishing and he had said that there
was no fish in Thompson or Stubblefield Creeks.
I do not remember seeing any fish at any of the lakes either, but I was not looking
for any either.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

I was in Stubblefield Canyon last summer. I posted on Mary, Tilden, and Benson Lakes. Although I did not fish Stubblefield creek.....I noticed small fish for sure (brooks or bows)??? I think I know what lake you are referring to. If there are fish in it......they have got to be hogs (looked like a lot of feed). I didn’t fish it because we were in a hurry on the way to Benson from Tilden and just stopped to rest the stock and stretch our legs (short walk). I did not see fish...but you have reason to be curious.

All I have to say about that area is I wish I could be up around Tilden/Mary in June (OMG)!!!! I have unfinished business as well.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Almost every winter, the trip planning part is always to some (hopefully) “ultimate” location. We shall see. For me, this winter is no exception as Yosemite backcountry always calls out for new lakes to explore. I suppose it is no secret that come this July, I plan finally to explore thoroughly the Upper Merced drainage – (Southeast part of the park) - an area I have never spent much time in, but, the more I look at the Topos, and the literature, the more excited I get…(see Hank Johnston’s pamphlet, and Beck’s fishing books.) Funny that Hank Johnston omits certain lakes in his book...wonder why.

I get 4 weeks straight (thanks to the wife) and the plan is not to hurry my way through the entire region. Camping there for the evening rise means not doing the long miles, but through careful preparation, (and sheer laziness), I figure to hit a different lake each night without ultimately killing myself.

Lower Merced Pass Lake, Lower Ottoway, Upper Ottoway, Etna…then Red Devil, Adair, Obelisk, and down to Washburn…maybe the Harriet’s too. Already having permits in hand, I figure 10 – 12 days out here before heading down to the Valley. Before that, another 10 – 12 days: Lyell Canyon, the Marie’s (Upper and Lower), Thousand Island, Catherine and perhaps the back Banner Lakes too – all fishing. I always allow a few days too for “Serendipity Hiking” along the way…realizing that opportunity always comes knocking… (Better to listen to the knock than to miss something.)

Finally, the Saddlebag area needs some time too…always wanted to see Gardinsky (spelling?) and spend a few nights along the 20 Lakes Basin, (Conness Lakes?) before heading home.
Total: 28 days, 20+ lakes, and no rush, at least, that’s the ultimate plan for right now.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Hey Markskor,
Sounds like 28 days in heaven. And then you get to come back and plan another one for next year! :)
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
Take-a-Hike
Topix Acquainted

Post by Take-a-Hike »

Well, since I was 52 or so, and wife was 50, or so, when we did our first backpack trip and this year I'll be 58 every summer has the opportunity for the "ultimate Sierra trip". This year proves no exception....I have permits and lodge reservations in hand for a mid Aug trip from Roads End counterclockwise up Paradise Valley to Bench Lake, over Cartridge Pass to Lake Basin for two nites, then out via Windy Ridge to State, Glacier and Kid Lakes, back to the lodge and some pain pills chased down by a few brewskies. Where I really hope this summer deviates from previous trip plans is that we'll actually get to complete the loop. I have this huge problem of planning things and it seems that I bite off a lot more than I can chew in the time I plan for. I'm hoping Lake Basin is all that I've read it is...I'm sure it will be, and I hope we can spend two nites there cause based upon what I've read above I plan on a day hike up to Dumbell area. I've planned the loop for seven nites out so I'm hoping that for once I've planned correctly.
I really appreciate posts such as this and experience and wisdom of those of you who are the vets on this thing (includes all the above previous to me), cause you've all been instrumental in guiding us through previous trips...or failures..like Blue Canyon (failed)via the B Cap Basin trip listed below, N to S lake loop (failed), High Sierra Trail to 9 Lakes Basin, out via Tablelands and Pear Lake (failed), and last years two debacles of Black Cap Basin via NFKR out via Bench Valley and Red Lake Basin (failed) then the Bear Diversion Dam to Lake Italy up 'n over to MIlls Creek,(GB I still have this photo of a huge erratic that looks like it has acne that I want to send to you so you can explain how it got that way taken up above Lower Mills Creek Lake, but I can't figure out how to load it on this forum or PM to you), Laurel Creek, to Mott Lake out to Edison and VVR (failed). Although all trips were spectacular in one form or another, they all left something in the bag and a taste that needs visiting again...w/better results.
So the questions at hand for the upcoming trip that I can't seem to answer are 1: Is it possible to drop down off the bench of Bench Lake going NNW more or less straight to Cartridge Pass w/out going back to the JMT? It sure looks like it should be possible if not downright easy to do. And finally, I have to believe it is possible to go from Marion Lake up 'n over to either Horseshoe, State or Glacier Lakes in one day..isn't it?? I"m going over Roper's book and the part of doing the trip in reverse and he gives pointers in finding the appropriate passes going in that direction, but if you haven't figured it out by now...we're a far cry from Roper and his wife.
With our schedule being dictated by "so much Sierra's so little time", taking stock of destinations listed in posts such as this..I think that one trip I'll get to real soon is the trans Sierra trek which will include a visit to the Kaweah Basin. I think that's the only way I'll get there and it'll kill two birds w/one trip...the Kaweah Basin/Pickett Creek area and climbing Whitney from the west.
So...keep the ideas coming...and not to worry, you can share secrets w/me..I don't fish, hate it actually, just take pictures and sit and soak in scenery..and rest aching bones.
Walking on Fairways til I can
"Take-a-Hike"
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Can't get much time to go for an "ultimate" trip, though many have been thought of. I guess any trip with the chance to coffee can plant where fish need to be would fit my bill these days. Even if that is just a little help to get over the falls. I have more than one spot in mind at this point. jls
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I forgot one oddball place I haven't been to that doesn't constitute an "ultimate trip" by itself but it is seldom reached and a place I'd like to visit as a part of a bigger trip. That place is the unnamed lake in the George Creek drainage (unnamed on maps called "George Lake" by DFG) below Vacation Pass. I would go over Vacation Pass from Wallace to get there. Obviously there are reasons other than remoteness for going there. I once had Lake 11482 below Kern Point on my to-do list but that one suffered from the "too much information" curse when I succumbed to temptation and asked one of my sources about what was in it (aquatic residents are said to top out at 11"). A bit better top end and I would have kept it on my list.

I was thinking of another dream trip in addition to the one I posted above (which is still my no 1 choice). Here's my no. 2,which, unlike no 1 has to be done while still in death marching condition:
day 1 repeats day 1 of Tunechuck w/o severely upset stomach: Hoffman Mtn. to Hummingbird or Blue Canyon (it would make for good style points to get all the way to upper Blue Canyon on day 1-that's what I was trying to do this past year).
day 2 to Tunemah. day 3 to relax in basin below Tunemah. day 4 (very interesting day) descend to Goddard Creek then up Goddard Creek to 10232. day 5 to Martha, day 6 dayhike to Davis (stay at Martha), day 7 over Reinstein Col bypass through Blackcap to Bench Valley and McGuire Lakes w some dayhiking exploration of Bench Valley. day 8 to Crown and Woodchuck (must finish this trip well). day 9. out to Hoffman Mtn.

Take a Hike: About the big erratic with "acne". Might the 'acne' be big crystals (phenocrysts) of feldspar standing out from the surface of the boulder?
Last edited by giantbrookie on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Take-a Hike

Yes you can drop straight down to the South Fork, but it is pretty steep,
also keep in mind you will have to get across the river.
It is a long way up to the lake near Cartridge Pass so make sure you get
water at the river before starting up (start in the morning if you can, I would
not recommend starting up in the middle of the day, wifey may not like it much).
Definitely visit Dumbbell Lakes if you can it may be the highlight of your trip.
Marion Lake is pretty and deserves its reputation.
Roper's route from Marion to Horseshoe or States Lakes is easy to follow
and is easily doable in 1 day.
Don't rush thru this area like a lot of people do just to finish the SHR or to
get to Marion Lake.
The South Fork of Cartridge Creek is pretty as are the views from the Windy Ridge
area up into Goddard Canyon and the Devils Crags area.
Triple Falls is definitely worth checking out as is exploring the entire area, including
the lakes east of Cirque Crest, which have great views of the Muro Blanco and
the Arrow Ridge area.
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

TahoeJeff wrote:I have had a serious hankering to go to French Canyon and Royce lakes for quite a few years now. I know that is lunker Golden Trout country, and it would be my Ultimate Sierra Trip. I've tried to recruit local friends (So. Tahoe area) without much luck. It is a steep climb in from Pine Creek TH, and none of the lakes are under 11k elevation (I'm pretty sure). Furthermore, I do want to spend 4-5 days exploring the area, not counting 1 day in/1 day out. My friends either don't care about the Goldies like I do, or don't want to invest the time/energy, or both.
This is the trip I'd like to do also. I doubt my brothers want to make the drive to the east side though
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

GB and Maverick, now y'all have got me thinking about a Thompson Canyon trip. Fiddling around with the Topo maps this morning, I have the rudiments of a maybe 5-day trip that would visit Thompson Canyon and both sets of lakes (north side and south side). Could be nice...