Your Photos of Trout

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Your Photos of Trout

Post by Hetchy »

Whether you catch and release or catch and devour(guilty) let's see your photos of the fruit of the likes of H.R. Kibbie the US cavalry and others.. It's all about the TROUT! Here are some photos to start.. CAUTION! Trout WERE harmed(eaten) shortly after these photos were taken :evil:
Image :yummy:
Same Trout Later:
Image :yummy:
Table Lake Trout:
:yummy:
From a Top Secret Location:
And finally; Cooking Trout upon a Sierra Zip Ztove.. No need for a fire ring.. Leave No Trace! BURP!
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Your Photos of Trout

Post by rlown »

might want to move this thread to the "fishing hole"
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ok..

Kind of a sad tale here. These are fish we pulled out of Upper mattie (many more i wont post as the process hurts) :

And then Virginia Lk (again, many more):

And then Virginia Lk again, before they gillnetted them (in Yosemite). We never ate these fish as we almost knew them by sight after 20 years.

Russ
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Hetchy »

Holy Cra. ! Rlown! Those trout dwarf the poor little guys I have caught! :eek: I have Trout Envy! HA! I think it's funny!
Hey, trout are a Non-mative species in the high Sierra lakes. Folks like H.R. Kibbie and the United States Cavalry PUT them there... to be consumed. If anyone truly believes all this crap about saving the Earth.. we catch and eat fella's are doing them a favor! I just know I have stirred a hornets nest up here.. What did Ole' Edward Abbey Say? "Never apologize, never explain.." I think wrote that about when he was staring at a fellow bar patrons girlfriend but.. no matter. I sayes the trout is fair game... and DAMN Tasty! :nod: :yummy:
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Actually, they were well kept secrets for those using the pack trail to lower Mattie lake. A revenue generator for the park.

We didnt eat them unless we injured. so, 3 trout in the years we felt like stewards of "our place."

sucks large.

Russ

PS: dont think for a moment native americans weren't "coffee canning" trout" to great areas to hold over.. cuz, i would in a second if i needed food midstream. just a thought.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hetchy wrote:I just know I have stirred a hornets nest up here..
No.. good questions.. just better answered in the "fishing hole" when we get the 2009 aquatic plan from Yose. Don't want to see them take other lakes that aren't revenue generating for the park.. :tear: i've no clue what they think.. i work in a big company and i see this and i call them on it if i see crap. not sure why the parks dont, other than i pay their salaries, and retirement.

Russ
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

Hetchy wrote:Holy Cra. ! Rlown! Those trout dwarf the poor little guys I have caught! :eek: I have Trout Envy! HA! I think it's funny!
Hey, trout are a Non-mative species in the high Sierra lakes. Folks like H.R. Kibbie and the United States Cavalry PUT them there... to be consumed. If anyone truly believes all this crap about saving the Earth.. we catch and eat fella's are doing them a favor!
Even most Catch-and-release guys like myself acknowledge that Catch and eat is fine in the backcountry lakes where the quality of the fishery is not damaged by occasional harvest. in fact, many brookie lakes would be better off with a substantial harvest (or a larger aquatic predator, like browns, bulls or lakers... of course browns are the only of the group with no substantial threat of hybridization... not that it would matter much in the non-native environments anyway)

Additionally, we accept that catch-and release can cause a certain amount or mortality. I believe this to be exceptionally low on quickly landed fish caught on barbless hooks/flies... but still there is some for sure.

OK, now for my favorite high-sierra trout:

Stunted: