Evening After Dark or Predawn

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Evening After Dark or Predawn

Post by Hetchy »

Hey, what kind of photographs do we have of those times Before Sunrise and after sunset. The times when aplenglow rings the peaks or smoky haze blends with the fading light to create a moody aura in the scene! I will begin with this photo:(Taken in the "Bear Valley" between Kerrick Canyon and Rancheria Mtn.)
Bear Valley Eventide

You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Re: Evening After Dark or Predawn

Post by Buck Forester »

This is Muriel Lake after sunset. The colors are real, this is a Velvia 50 film scan and I had to desaturate the colors a tad because they were so intense, the color contrast was so high on the slide. The reason the colors are so brilliant is because of a large Sierra wildfire that year that was burning to the west. I captured a whole series of images from this sunset and at times it looked like a volcano was erupting just over the mountains. It was definitely one of the more amazing sunsets I've seen.

This is a wide-angle view of the same sunset from the same place.

Another stand-out, completely amazing post-sunset experience was at Marie Lake on our JMT thru-hike. It was stormy and it cleared a bit at sunset (but came back that night in full force), but the alpenglow was like I've never seen before. This happened after the main sunset colors had passed, and then this incredibly rich pink glow just hit the peaks. My hiking partner and I were dumbfounded at the colors, we couldn't believe the intensity of the pink. It was like the air was actually colored. I have wider angle shots of Marie Lake from the same time somewhere, but I'm not sure where I have them stored. I think I burned about 3 rolls of 36 exposure Velvia 50 in about 10 minutes.
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Wow Buck! This is exactly what I was thinking. Dude, You are a truly amazing photographer! I am gonna have to pick your brain before my PCT hike for some photo tips. :D
Here is another couple of Photo's:
Twilight at the Granite Motel 6 (Mahan Lake Area)

Alpenglow upon the Sawtooth Ridge, Matterhorn Peak area from Slide Mountain:
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Hetchy,

Kinda curious.. What kind and how much camera equipment are you carrying on your trip?

Russ
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Sweet shots everyone!
Kaweah Basin.
Yosemite Valley
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Trail blazer those are some amazing photographs! I am always amazed at the photographs we take, and I know that the subject of our efforts was even MORE dramatic in person!!! Rlown: I just bought a Canon 590IS for the PCT but I am still thinking I might "bounce my Canon S2IS along the trail to Kennedy Meadows for the Sierra section. The only problem with the S2 is that it does not accept the SDHD memory cards(I bought 4 of them.. then found out they would not work) thus I bought the 590IS. I am open to suggestions for camera gear as i have worked longer than I thought and some dude wants to buy my P.O.S. chevy so I could possibly swing another Digital camera. Though after seeing what BUCK is doing with film I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake jumping from medium format film to digital! I have a pentax optio 33WR but I no longer trust it cause I have taken about ten trillion pics with it and I know CCD's ARE wear items at some point. Any suggestions for a camera for the PCT better than the Canon 590 IS?
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Those few moments after sunset and before dawn are my favorite times of day both for photos and the sense of tranquility. Here are three:

Great Western Divide from small lake on Bighorn Plateau.

http://www.sonic.net/~words/Images/GWDBighorn.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moonset from Windy Ridge.

http://www.sonic.net/~words/Images/Moon ... ge-rev.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clouds and Kearsarge Pinnacles.

http://www.sonic.net/~words/Images/Clou ... eLakes.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Lake 10,200, southeast of Ward Mountain on the LeConte Divide.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Dusk earth shadow 2007 out towards the southeast to the Inyo Range, Dave, and 94 Subaru (now with 265k miles hehe!) at one of my dirt road car dispersed camping spots via my little Coolpix while fall leaf camping in the oh so neat Tungsten Hills. I sleep head in passenger side back seat with toes at end of trunk. Oh yeah the Wabbit Bush and yep der be jackwabbits.
Last edited by ERIC on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced [img] tags (AGAIN, Dave) with the new [rimg] tags so image fits to post frame =)
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Now THAT'S a sunset shot!

Nice work, Dave, as always :)
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!