Backcountry Permits

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
luvtobackpack
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Backcountry Permits

Post by luvtobackpack »

I am planning a trip to Yosmite for 4 people for about 7 days in early-mid June. What is the likelihood of getting permits for the same day? From what I've read, you can pretty much get anything the day beforehand if you arrive early enough. Help!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Permits

Post by rlown »

everything you need to know is at http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermits.htm

They used to offer online permit submittal, but it looks like that isn't available right now. Also, it appears their trailhead availability link is broken as well (sigh, what do my taxpayer and reservation dollars go for anyway).

If you're aiming at a "popular weekend", you should call early. For example, i'm calling April 1st for some sept reservations.

Russ
rrivera
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backcountry Permits

Post by rrivera »

If you arrive the day before and try to get something you'll probably be in luck the only exception is if you are trying to do Half Dome and staying at Little Yosemite. When I have shown up when the permit office opens I've always gotten onto the trail I wanted the day of the hike. I think the site must have a glitch if you can't get to the trailhead availability I was on their earlier this week and could access it. I would also recommend calling and reserving now if you know where you want to go since the phone lines aren't all jammed up yet. Sending in a fax reservations works well to they seem to confirm the reservation within 24 hours.