Filter your water or not?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Filter your water or not?

Post by Hetchy »

Buckforester wrote: " I can fire-up my used toilet paper and toss it off the cliff and it will land at the required elevation. "
Reminds me of when I was a kid, they used to have "Fire Falls" from glacier point in Yosemite. They built a big bonfire and everyone would yell down to camp curry.. awaiting the reply: "Let the Fire Fall!" after which the bonfire was pushed from the edge and spilled out into the abyss.. quite a sight. HA! :D

I too, thought that there must be some confusion about the campfire restrictions (above 9600') and the burning of TP or using a wood burning stove (Zip stove.. provided the wood was gathered below 9600'). I believed the restriction was to protect the remaining wood above timberline.
Could pack out the TP, of course. Could also resort to what one lady hiker I met years ago did: When she laughed at seeing my roll of TP.
I asked "What's so funny?" :retard:
She replied, "You STILL use Toilet paper!" :lol:
I thought for a moment and asked, "So what else is there to use besides a pine cone?".. :retard:
She pulls a plastic bottle with a squirter nozzle.. (you know the kind the old time football players used to drink with) and she smiled proudly and says: "I use this!"
I presume she also had soap along in her posession but I ain't to sure! :moon:
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

Good thread. I guess I don't really care as long as it isn't stuffed under a rock! There are some places in the Sierra that are just plain disgusting to walk thru...that's what prompted my sig...
Dee
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

I did get giardiasis from drinking unfiltered water, but it was my own stupidity. What I thought was fresh-melting snow was down slope from an area that a lot of climbers camped at. It takes about 2 weeks to incubate. It wasn't really all that bad, but the worst part is that it (and/or the medication they give you) screws up your digestion for a long time afterwards.

Still, I only treat (iodine + Vitamin C is a lot lighter and easier than a filter) in crowded areas, which means most of the time I don't bother.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Did your doctor diagnose you with giardiasis? downstream from a non-infected human would point to something else.. like e.coli. From what i read, someone has to have it to pass it on.

Just curious,

Russ
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I am a former user of the Zip stove and called the NPS about the fire and wood gathering restrictions above timberline. It is legal to operate the stove if the wood is gathered below treeline. Wildfire is normally not a concern above timberline.Wood gathering is prohibited because of the fragile relationship of decaying wood to the rest of the alpine ecosystem. Its also happens to be starkly beautiful and a wonderful reminder that only in the Sierra will you see the results of a lightning strike that happened way before our time! Ndwoods, I like your attitude about soap and TP and I am with you on that in spirit, but I am a lousy shot, so I don't think I will be trying the squirt bottle bidet concept anytime soon. During the height of the Giardia craze, I drank the water untreated on Lower Bear Creek. About a week after the trip I developed a tight feeling in my stomach, a sensation that I was already full after only a couple of bites of food. The Doctor treated it as if it were Giardia, but did not do any tests because, at that time it took two weeks to get the results and was expensive. The drug that was used is similar to Antibuse, which is given for the treatment of alcoholism. It was a two week regimen and no booze allowed. I now doubt that it was Giardia and I have since reverted back to drinking Sierra water untreated. My gut is well seasoned to California water, but in the Rockies, I could easily get sick by the local flora growing in those waters. IMO, it is E. coli that is the threat to water everywhere. Wagon train pioneers died from Cholera and E. coli dysentery, not arrows and bullets.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

freestone wrote: My gut is well seasoned to California water, but in the Rockies, I could easily get sick by the local flora growing in those waters.
Beavers are endemic to the Rockies and giardia is endemic to beaver colonies, so there is a problem there. Fortunately there are not many beavers in the Sierra--residue of misguided attempts to establish them which mostly failed.

Mike
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mike McGuire wrote:Fortunately there are not many beavers in the Sierra--residue of misguided attempts to establish them which mostly failed.
I'm pretty sure when i was up in the Hoover wilderness, there were active signs of beaver dams, etc.

Russ
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Beaver sightings on the Kern river are pretty common. Here is a picture I took of one last weekend.
Gary C.
Last edited by ERIC on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced [Img] tags with [rimg] tags so photo auto-fits in post frame
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Mike McGuire
Founding Member

Post by Mike McGuire »

Where abouts on the Kern did you see them? Are you sure it wasn't an otter or muskrat?

Mike
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

There is way to much traffic along the Kern River even if there were no beavers
to even consider it a safe water source.