Ultralight solo tent recommendations

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markorr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ultralight solo tent recommendations

Post by markorr »

I'm thinking about getting a new tent for my 3 season solo backpacking trips in the Sierras. Criteria, fully enclosed to escape the bugs (so that rules tarps out), as light as possible, tall enough to sit up in (so no bivy sacks) and a vestibule big enough for a pair of boots. Otherwise I'd like to go as light and as small of pack size as possible. My current solo tent is a BD Firstlight - single wall, no vestibule, free standing, big enough for 2 people, weighs 2lb 11 oz

The 2 candidates I'm looking at are the Tarptent Contrail and the new Big Agnes Fly Creek 1 UL. I haven't been in either one yet, but looking at them they're similar size
Weight: the tarptent is lighter by 5.5 oz (24.5 vs 30)
Floor space: even, approx 22 ft for both
Head room: Tarpent 45 inches vs 38 inches at max
Design: Big Agnes is double wall, TT is single wall (how do TT's do on ventilation/condensation?)
Setup: Big Agnes is free standing, TT is not
Cost: TT is $200, BA is $300

I'm leaning towards the tarptent, but I've never had to rely on a non-free standing tent. The other tents we currently own are a Marmot Alpinist for winter/mountaineering and MSR Hubba Hubba for 2 person 3 season use.

Are there other options that are better than either of these? Does anyone have experience with either tent?

thanks
Mark
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ultralight solo tent recommendations

Post by hikerduane »

I have had heavy condensation in my TT Squall, a few years ago when it spat snow pellets in the afternoon and into the night, then started up again, just before sunrise. When it hit in the morning, all the condensation got knocked on to my clothes and gear that was spread out inside. I guess next time I should bring a garbage bag for clothes and a bper towel to wipe the walls down with. My BD Hilight isn't much better, weighs more then your Firstlight and I get spritzed by it in the rain. I haven't had any issues setting up the Squall anywhere, if a stake won't go in, I put a rock on the stake or rig something up to hold it in place. I don't like the breeze that can come thru the Squall via the netting around the bottom. I saw a test of some of the new tarp style tents that were subjected to high wind, the TarpTent did the best, over a cuben fabric shelter, which I think was a SMD shelter. I'll have to dig it up, interesting results. The cuben material tent which many are thinking is the new fabric, faired poorly.
Piece of cake.
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

So funny you posted this- I've narrowed my search down to the same two shelters. Looking forward to seeing what people have to say.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

I've used the contrail for the past 2 seasons. I've spent nights with no condensation and others with seemingly gallons. (actually have had same issues with double wall tents as well). If it is humid or raining or snowing there is probably no way around the problem. To minimize the problem I try to avoid low lying spots and vegetation. I carry an extra packtowel,too. The biggest problem for me is getting an early start. I try and make sure the inside is completely dry before packing it up. with a separate fly you can shake out the fly then pack it separately damp, fold the main tent so the dry floor folded in half, dry against dry then roll it up. That way you can get an early start and have a dry floor when you next set up the tent.

I never pitch the Contrail the way it is displayed in the photos. I usually find a stick and raise the center of the foot end so the tent is more of an A-frame. It seems to me that the standard way of pitching the tent will result in water pooling in rain or the tent not shedding snow if it snows. It always takes me a little time to tweak the setup for the conditions. But a pound and a half and no skeeters are real nice benefits.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Photo of Cloudburst and Contrail below Pinchot Pass
tents.JPG
Note slight peak at foot of contrail. After using my Cloudburst for a week my cousin decided to buy it when I put it up for sale for $100. It is an ample 2 person tent and palatial 1 person and weighs 21/2 lbs.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

I also have a Contrail and essentially do the same thing as oldranger so that it has somewhat of a peak to shed water at the foot end. Yes, it does pool water in that area if it isn't pitched or kept taut but I have the first version of the Contrail and don't know if the newer ones have changed much. All in all, I'm still happy with it.

Alan
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

One more vote for the Contrail. Used it three different trips last year. The only time I had condensation issues was the first weekend. We were at Emerald Lake SEKI and it rained off and on all day and night. I used the same setup as Oldranger and Cloudy with the foot raised in the center. I just wiped down the inside when I woke up and everything was fine. The vestibule is big enough for my pack while still leaving me an easy way in and out of the tent.

I love this tent \:D/
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Going through the same problem here...need a new tent by summer.
I also have narrowed it down to two choices also - but one is different than yours.
My choices:
Tarptent Rainbow...like the "freestanding" with hiking poles
or Tarptent Contrail.
Help me pull the trigger.
Mark

PS...(EDIT)...AH Heck...It is my birthday today and as a present to me, \:D/
I just bought the Rainbow.
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:Going through the same problem here...need a new tent by summer.
I also have narrowed it down to two choices also - but one is different than yours.
My choices:
or Tarptent Contrail.
Mark

Happy birthday, bud. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

markskor wrote:Going through the same problem here...need a new tent by summer.
My choices:
or Tarptent Contrail.
Mark

Well...happy B'day :birthday I was in the same situation last year and ended up with the Contrail. I am sure you will like theRainbow as much as I have liked the Contrail.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.