JPEGSnoop Sniffs Out Signs of Editing

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: JPEGSnoop Sniffs Out Signs of Editing

Post by SSSdave »

This thread is not the place to hijack into a more general discussion about image manipulation and fidelity. You or anyone else is welcome to email me directly or start such a thread independently. On my home page you might select the sub-page link to my "Philosophy and Style" essay. And there is considerable one can find by searching for "image AND manipulation" on the web. You would find my real name in a fair number of forum discussions going back many years.

For the sake of a minimal reply I'll offer a terse comment that doesn't directly address your question but merely shows such questions are but the tip of a large iceberg of issues that can quickly get out of control unless narrowly focused.

marksfor >>>"what is "natural"? As perceived by the viewer of the event?"

A better term would be "reasonably natural". An argument often tossed out is that since a photograph can never exactly represent a scene and moment in time, why bother thus it might as well be anything goes. In ordinary lingo an example of tossing the baby out with the bathwater fallacy.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

SSSdave wrote:This hread is not place to hijack the discussion into a more general discussion about image manipulation and fidelity.
Nah. Quite the contrary, I sort of posted this article to stimulate discussion. :littledevil:

So long as it remains civil. :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Buck Forester
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Buck Forester »

If I take a photo of a manipulated photo, is the new unedited photo now also manipulated? :-k
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Buck Forester wrote:If I take a photo of a manipulated photo, is the new unedited photo now also manipulated? :-k
"Deep thoughts...by Jack Handy."
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

trailblazer wrote:
markorr wrote:BTW most scientific journals in the biology realm look for altered images. They have pretty stringent rules on how images can be manipulated and how you make it clear that its been altered. My day job is a bench scientist so I run into this a lot, both in presenting data and reviewing others.
I misread your first sentence and thought "that ain't right", until I understood your point (at least, I think I did) - I read it as they look (as in look to publish) altered images :eek:
I had the same initial misreading and the same reaction, but figured it out after a moment.

In any case, now I have Don't Talk to Me About Love going through my head. ;)