A new issue of Sierra Trails

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Buck Forester
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Buck Forester »

Doyle, I see your post is dated Friday the 13th, maybe that's why a couple posts mysteriously disappeared! :paranoid:
kennyhel77
Topix Novice

Post by kennyhel77 »

Doyle if you ever need a hiking partner let me know. I too live in San Jose. I am always interested in new people to hike with. Oh and I am quite flexible when it comes to planning and such. :)
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Doyle, my dad, at the age of 70 made it from Anne Lake to Edison in one day, going around the long way via Goodale Pass! That has to be around 18+ miles. In his late 60's, he made it from Bear Diversion Dam to Seven Gables Peak in one day. He is 73 now and STILL hiking my young 41 years into the ground!
kennyhel77
Topix Novice

Post by kennyhel77 »

Now THAT is awesome!! I hope to be that fit in my later years. And I too and 41 and would have a hard time doing that!
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Here is dad near a pass in Sequoia National Park. Someone guess which one...:) (Sorry about the crappy scan.:()
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

kennyhel77: Doyle if you ever need a hiking partner let me know. I too live in San Jose. I am always interested in new people to hike with. Oh and I am quite flexible when it comes to planning and such.
Cool! Great! We should look into this as the weather changes! I would prefer to hike with someone from my area for obvious reasons. Sadly, looks like my pard is out of the backpacking business forever due to a developing health condition, and he was the younger one. I have been doing solo a lot recently because of the aforementioned, but really, it is safer and more fun with a partner. For me anyway….
Mountaineer: In his late 60's, he made it from Bear Diversion Dam to Seven Gables Peak in one day.
I went from Marie Lake to Bear Diversion Dam (about the same distance) in one day, but that was mostly downhill. (There is a trick to going up that un-maintained trail to V-Lake. And I have some awesome pictures in that area.) Yeah, that is a heap of walking, but for me, its not the destination but the journey, so I have never been consumed with going from point A to Point B…well, at least most of the time. There is always some minimum distance that has to be done to keep a schedule. Some things I have done were probably ill advised. Live and learn. Anyway, there are hikers that can do an amazing number of miles. Like many things in life, I can do more than most, but not as much as some.

As for the picture…hard to tell. The mountain in the background looks like it might be Mt. Kaweah, so perhaps that is Black Rock Pass area.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kennyhel77
Topix Novice

Post by kennyhel77 »

Great Doyle, keep me in the loop. Most of my friends are married with children and cannot do trips for the a few years. I thought of doing solo but my wife does not like the idea too much. I love your magazine and always look forward to new issues. SEKI and Yosemite or heck anywhere. Just let me know!
Ken
kennyhel77
Topix Novice

Post by kennyhel77 »

mountaineer wrote:Emigrant Wilderness! What a spectacular area. Went tehre a few years ago with my dad and sister and absolutely enjoyed it. Even the blizzard we had to sit through. :)
would that have been the one that hit in Oct. 2004.? My buddy and I were at Relief Res. and missed getting snowed in by 500 ft. Hiked out in the rain and once we got home we found out about all of the snow bound hikers.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

kennyhel77 wrote:
mountaineer wrote:Emigrant Wilderness! What a spectacular area. Went tehre a few years ago with my dad and sister and absolutely enjoyed it. Even the blizzard we had to sit through. :)
would that have been the one that hit in Oct. 2004.? My buddy and I were at Relief Res. and missed getting snowed in by 500 ft. Hiked out in the rain and once we got home we found out about all of the snow bound hikers.
No, it was Sept of '94 I believe. I guess it was more than a few years ago. :)
As for the picture…hard to tell. The mountain in the background looks like it might be Mt. Kaweah, so perhaps that is Black Rock Pass area.
Veeeeeeery close. Try one ridge over. In fact, you can see BRP from where that picture was taken.