**HST Best of 2008 Contest! (FINAL VOTE)

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!

Vote for your favorite!

Poll ended at Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 pm

"Muriel Peak, Humpheys Basin, Kings Canyon National Park. Photo taken during a lull in an early September storm, 2008" - by peninsula
6%
"Tuolumne Meadows - Memorial Day 2008" - by Allyn
3%
"Fishing Before the Storm" - by windknot
3%
"Where's My Waders?" - by Ozark Flip
5%
"Vogelsang Lake - Yosemite National park" - by trailblazer
13%
"Sunset at Sunrise Creek" - by maverick
6%
"Pioneer Basin - John Muir Wilderness" - by trailblazer
19%
"Parker Peak Wildflowers" - by mountainLight
11%
"Lake 11,092, below Snow-Tongue Pass, Kings Canyon National Park. September, 2008" - by peninsula
18%
"Blue Layers - Sequoia NP" - by Hikin Mike
16%

Total votes: 79

ace_leroy
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: **HST Best of 2008 Contest! (FINAL VOTE)

Post by ace_leroy »

While each of these is an absolute fantastic photograph with beautiful color and light management is it really fair? How many people really are carrying a $1200 Nikon camera with them on the trail to be able to capture photos like this? While I am happy to vote for one of these, like other posters, I wanted to submit some of my own. Is there now or are there plans to offer a contest for point and shoot camera pics? For those of us with a keen eye, but a $150 all in one camera that fits in my waistbelt pouch? If so, then I have some pics to enter, but until I start carrying professional equipment with me on the trail, I will never be able to compete with these.
Ciocc
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Ciocc »

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

ace_leroy wrote:While each of these is an absolute fantastic photograph with beautiful color and light management is it really fair? How many people really are carrying a $1200 Nikon camera with them on the trail to be able to capture photos like this? While I am happy to vote for one of these, like other posters, I wanted to submit some of my own. Is there now or are there plans to offer a contest for point and shoot camera pics? For those of us with a keen eye, but a $150 all in one camera that fits in my waistbelt pouch? If so, then I have some pics to enter, but until I start carrying professional equipment with me on the trail, I will never be able to compete with these.
f/64 and be there an hour early.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

ace_leroy wrote:While each of these is an absolute fantastic photograph with beautiful color and light management is it really fair? How many people really are carrying a $1200 Nikon camera with them on the trail to be able to capture photos like this? While I am happy to vote for one of these, like other posters, I wanted to submit some of my own. Is there now or are there plans to offer a contest for point and shoot camera pics? For those of us with a keen eye, but a $150 all in one camera that fits in my waistbelt pouch? If so, then I have some pics to enter, but until I start carrying professional equipment with me on the trail, I will never be able to compete with these.
Sorry, I somehow managed to miss this post... :-k
To answer your question, no, not really. The ideas of point-n-shoot vs. SLR, and post-processed vs. untouched have been tossed around in this and other threads. While this contest was really just for fun and had nothing more than a token grand prize, I understand where you and others are coming from. But it does become a little bit tricky (and adds a whole different kind of controversy) when contest rules limit one type of camera vs another and varying levels of post-processing. In the future, what I'll probably do instead is have a contest where the subject is a little more refined and voting will have less to do with what camera you use. For example, one year we had a "Show Your HST Sticker" contest. Entries were limited to photos taken of HST stickers and where people put them. Another contest made "gear" the subject. Both contests worked out pretty well (at least I don't recall any complaints).
Thanks for the input.

Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Well, it was a VERY close race, but our first and second place entries have emerged.

1st Place: "Pioneer Basin - John Muir Wilderness" - by trailblazer

2nd Place: "Lake 11,092, below Snow-Tongue Pass, Kings Canyon National Park. September, 2008" - by peninsula

Congratulations to all who participated! =D>
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix