Sierra Adventure as an Escape from the Economy

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.

How Will the Economy Affect Your Sierra Plans

More Trips This Year
40%
Less Trips This Year
10%
Same As Last Year
50%

Total votes: 10

Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Sierra Adventure as an Escape from the Economy

Post by Hetchy »

I am wondering how many people are going to take trips to the Sierra this year. Would more people be considering "Staycations" this year due to economic woes?
For my own part I am planning to "gun it" this year and Thru-hike the PCT, not entirely because my job has almost evaporated but it WAS a factor in the descision.
How about y'all? Are others planning to find solace in the far places of our beloved Sierra this year, pehaps more so than before because of the economy?
I bring this up not only out of my own interest but because I have noticed others on PCT-L and elsewhere testing the waters.
I intend to spend much coin in many of those little towns along the PCT this year in part from neccesity but also in part to help out. I know they MUST be hurting cause here in the San Jose/ Sant Cruz area we are hurting.. BAD. I figure this trip will be a reverse economic stimulus. I will give back to the area I have taken so much from.. if it only be a minor amount of dollars.
How many other people will choose to spend time and money this year in the Sierra and the Sierra towns? Above I have created a poll.
This might be the "Last Hurrah!" for me for a while.. no more multiple trips a year.. at least as far as I can see at the moment.. and that ain't too far. But I am still fed, housed and smiling.
If you can afford it I suggest we take that extra layover, that extra cheesburger, buy that piece of gear somewhere up along the Sierra. I am pretty sure San Jose will survive but places along Hwys 120, 395, 88 etc I dunno.
What do you think? Hetchy
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sierra Adventure as an Escape from the Economy

Post by markskor »

Last year, gas was above $4.50/gal, making extended trips into the Sierra prohibitive. For me, one round-trip Sacramento to Yosemite was over $120 just in gas. I only got two trips in.
Today, even with our dour economy, gas today was still low, $2.07 at my neighborhood Shell...~$50 for the same trip.
Yes this Post-Bush economy sucks, but my gear is paid for...and waiting.
I only plan one trip this season, but it will last 4 weeks, and will not come home in the middle as I did last year.
For all the money problems we are now experiencing, and will probably continue for a while too, backpacking is indeed a cheap escape. Hard to spend money when you are 20 trail miles from the nearest Pizza.
Mountainman who swims with trout
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

markskor wrote:Last year, gas was above $4.50/gal, making extended trips into the Sierra prohibitive. For me, one round-trip Sacramento to Yosemite was over $120 just in gas...
So at $2.25 per gallon It would be $60 one-way, or $120 round trip. How much did you spend at home during those times you did not go? How much is the memories and pleasures worth?

Dinner and a movie for two is close to $120. Both my wife and I enjoy a weekend out alone more than a single evening out. For us it's a matter of priorities and choosing how to spend our discretionary funds.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

dave54 wrote:Both my wife and I enjoy a weekend out alone more than a single evening out. For us it's a matter of priorities and choosing how to spend our discretionary funds.
Same. However, for us, it's usually either stick around the house, or get the heck out of Dodge. Discretionary funds are a little tight with Megan still in school. Like you and your wife, we prioritize to get the max enjoyment for our dollar. But it's not necessarily an automatic that people who stay home choose to spend the same money on local entertainment as they might on a trip to the Sierra. Personally speaking, we're not much for movies or similar canned forms of entertainment. I get nauseous from the mere smell of popcorn (no joke), which is just as well because the wife suddenly develops a form of temporary narcolepsy when watching movies anyway. :boring: And a nice dinner at a restaurant is...well...nice. But not a necessity for every weekend spent on the home front. We usually end up cooking together, or with friends of ours if and when we stay close to home.

If not jumping into the car to go for a hike on the weekends, we're happiest hanging out together doing fun and FREE activities - saving money for future trips to the Sierra. :)
That's my :twocents:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix