Favorite Piece of gear.. Western Mountaineerings Sleeping ba

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Favorite Piece of gear.. Western Mountaineerings Sleeping ba

Post by markskor »

There are seldom found sales on WM bags...maybe with this new economy things could open up.

I just had to replace my WM bag with a new Badger as some rube basshole borrowed it last year from inside my tent in YNP...Sunnyside.
I subsequently searched the net forever, but eventually found mine at "Tent Trail"... New York (Google it). It was in the "close out sale" bags bin ... $325.

You could also look on eBay...Western Mountaineering Bags...currently a few good ones running... they say "new" for reasonably good prices.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

…Just enough to make a difference when camped above 12,000 in June.

but isn't Ultralite/Alpinlite the same level of insulation, just a slightly larger cut bag? The REI you think is a cheesy summer bag was ok last year at 12,500 feet in July

I've actually been eyeing the Versalite - seems to be very little extra weight, as big as the Alpinlite, and warmer.

Tried the Helium first at REI, but much too tight also - (I am 6 ‘~225 lbs…FYI).

scratch Marmot.

God, I hate anything that does not have a full zipper…just limits the bag’s use in any warmer weather.

agree - I do sleep zipped open more often than zipped up, so that Valandre is too narrow in the temp range for summer Sierra hiking.

POS bag – Good for summer only…also too tight/not warm enough…you want a great bag that will last forever…never have to buy another bag again.

Always buy the best – never compromise…you will always regret if buying a lesser bag.
(What will you save …$50?)
Mark
[/quote]

I pretty much only hike in summer these days - living in Wisconsin means I only get to head for the mountains once a year. On a normal 20% off (and 10% dividend) day the savings would be about 200 bucks over a WM bag, and if found on ebay, probably more like 300. They are really tight around the shoulders and seem a bit flimsy, yes. I just tried it on again. My son is much smaller and sleeps warm, so he had no issues with it even at 12,100 feet last year.

It's really between grabbing an Alpinlite/Versalite or keeping what I have now. I can afford the WM bags and am tempted to just be done with this and get proper gear for the coming years.

On the other hand, speaking of gear being stolen, I sure would have second thoughts leaving my tent alone in a public place with all that bling gear in it. The new Big Agnes Copper Spur tent alone will speak "come and steal me..."
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

markskor wrote:
Tried the Helium first at REI, but much too tight also - (I am 6 ‘~225 lbs…FYI).
At exactly 6' foot - how is the length working for you in WM bags? I am somewhere between Long and Regular with various manufacturers. North Face fits only in Long, while REI fits me in Regular. I guess as I age, I am getting shorter, too :-)

Found a great deal on the Versalite at Tent and Trails (below ebay) and just want to make sure I don't buy the Long one if I don't need it.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I am just a tick over 6 foot...and the regular fits me fine. I too thought the long would be needed, but no...regular does the trick.
Mark
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

markskor wrote:I am just a tick over 6 foot...and the regular fits me fine. I too thought the long would be needed, but no...regular does the trick.
Mark
great - and I won't need the space in the bag to warm up boots on a -20 degree morning either. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Versalite Reg if they have left zipper. Web site does not state such detail...
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Fish,
When I finally pulled the trigger and ordered from Tent Trail, I called first and asked about right/left zipper availability, and pricing...as the exact price was not quoted -(said call -"too low to print") in the "close out" ad at that time.
I was/am still impressed - great customer service on their end. Got my left zip, regular Badger 3 days later...shipped solid... unstuffed in a large WM bag with all trimmings...stuff sack included too.
Their toll free number - 800-237-1760
Mark
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I'll call tomorrow - they are closed today. Price is posted, since the Versalite is not a closeout, but even then, at $340 for regular size far better than anywhere else for WM bags. They have Antelope, Apache, Badger, Dakota, Kodiak and Puma on closeout. Badger may be the closest to what I need, but it isn't much lighter than my current bag being extra wide cut. The winter bags are too warm, and Antelope is a bit heavy for the 10F performance. The Apache is about the closest I can come to the specs I am looking for, but the bag is cut a little narrower than the Versalite and has less loft. I'll ask them about the price just in case it's a real steal, but I'm pretty set on the Versalite.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I have both a subkilo and an alpinlite. The alpinlite has much more loft after more use than the subkilo. Subkilo is fine for less than 9,000 in midsummer but I'll almost always use the Alpinlite.
I'm much smaller than youse guys. 5'7'' and about 162. I really liked the Badger but opted for the 9 oz. lighter Alpinlite. I really like the extra space as I roll around a lot. One thing I don't like about the Alpinlite is that the draft tube doesn't cover the zipper adequately when the zipper ends up at the top as it seems to often do when I flounder around in my sleep.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I just ordered the WM Versalite in medium (6'0") from Tent and Trails; $340, free shipping Image

will report back when I get it. Thanks for all the help.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Great buy Fish :thumbsup: ...I am sure you will not be disappointed with your new WM bag.
BTW, excellent use of our HST resources...another example of what makes this a great site...all due to Eric.
Mark