2010's HST Photo Contest

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2010's HST Photo Contest

Post by maverick »

How many people would be willing to send in $20 to Eric for participating
in a photo contest here at HST?
HST members would be allowed to submit 3 photo's that was taken in 2009
in the Sierra.
No limitations on artistic values.
Winner would get the total contributed amount -10% which would go to HST, so if
30 people submitted than the winner would receive the $540.
Another incentive that would be nice for the winner is if there pictures could be
showcased on the opening page of HST, like one different pic each month for a year.
Voters can only be HST members that have been members of HST for at least the last six
months of 2009 or have 25 posts, this way we will not have any fishy things happen
like friends logging in and voting for any one person.
Obviously Eric would have the final say in everything from deadlines to rules, and
regulations.
So, what do you all think?
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2010's HST Photo Contest

Post by oldranger »

jeez Maverick,

You are making this a little too serious. If we were to do that then Eric would have to create all kinds of parameters. Right now the discussion about editing photos would get real serious because it would have real consequences for non winners. I prefer that the competition be kept as a celebration of the fine photography that you and others share with those of us who just snap shoot. Note how Mountaineer could, in what I hope was good cheer, complain that we are a tough audience. I'm not sure all of you would take it that way if there were significant bucks (not to imply that Buck is insignificant) involved. And Mountaineer, at least one of your photos made my top ten (actually much better) and as I said somewhere my response to the photos has as much to do with me as with the photos themselves.

I'll tell you what though, I'd be happy to share a little of my 151 to anyone who posts a photo in HST if we should cross paths in the Sierra (or any place else for that matter).

To all of you, keep on posting!

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Hey, regardless I think we all should send Eric $20 to help offset the expense of hosting this site!

Maverick, I think your idea definitely has merit and was well thought out.

As for me, as good as the intentions are for a contest as proposed, I think putting moolah on the line changes the dynamics (for some people anyway), and takes away more of the light-hearted, fun, sharing photos type of a 'contest'. I think Eric just wanted a good-natured way of sharing photos and promoting activity. I don't think he was expecting a discussion about parameters of what's considered a real photo or not, ha! ](*,) I vote for simple, submit what you want, and have el funno! :rock:

I haven't taken any recent wilderness shots to qualify for any contests anyway, so I have no skin in the game. If we have a contest about zoos, Disneyland, toddlers, and babies, BRING IT ON!!! \:D/
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yeah maybe you guys are right, I do not want to make Eric's life difficult and
from the posts about what kind of parameters should be set up would make
some people feel cheated.
I will say your post Buck was well written and there is no real way of making
a level field since a point and shoot's jpg will never compare to a 5d2 or D3's
jpg.
So even if we all shoot in "P" mode or whatever mode your camera's mode is
in which the exposure, white balance, aperture, and speed is automatically set
by the camera it still will not be a level playing field.
And what about those of us who shoot in raw, we need to set white balance,
sharpen, contrast, exposure ect.
I will say that the camera is just an instrument and it and the post-processing
does not mean jack if you do not understand light and composition.
Sure good equipment does help, but being at the right sunrise or sunset, or
witnessing a golden ray beaming through two clouds during a storm, or a rainbow
between downpours, are about preparing and luck, so we can possibly witness and
capture nature's gift to us photographers.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Buck wrote:
Hey, regardless I think we all should send Eric $20 to help offset the expense of hosting this site!
I agree! Eric how can I do it?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

what does this site cost to run? I'm sure it costs more than what we offset in mug and sticker purchases (and eric's time and the other moderators as well)

I see no reason why we shouldn't chip in. I would really like to see an overpriced HighSierraTopix flag for purchase that i could ski up to the Tioga Pass entry station and fly on their flagpole so we could see it every hour on the Tioga Pass webcam during winter. \:D/

Russ
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Whoa.
Put your wallets away. =;

I've really appreciated reading the kind gestures posted to this thread, but there's no way I could accept cash donations. I'm one of those guys who if you buy me a drink, I without question will be on my way to the bar to buy you TWO drinks to repay the kindness. :partyman: While not necessarily a bad trait to claim (unless you're speaking for my pocket book), probably not an appropriate one to exercise on a site like this where the majority of us like to keep things as jovial, and as politically neutral as we can. I don't desire an excuse to play favorites with members of this site. And I'm sure none of you would want that, either.

If for some reason you're on a mission to help me out, come hell or high water, you can anonymously contribute by way of merchandise purchases from Amazon.com using this link, MyTopo.com using this link, or SierraTradingPost.com using this link. I receive a small commission for all sales on those sites if redirected using those specific links.

More importantly, I just like to see people spread the word. The more the merrier, I say. And it doesn't cost you anything to boot. :D

Thanks again for the appreciative words.

Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Eric, unless I've missed it in the past you should put a sponsor link at the top of the index page. I buy off of Amazon every once in a while and Sierra Trading Post way too often. Another site that I visit used to have it set up like that and I was always more than happy go that way (when I remember)
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

Okay, Eric... here's my final offer... $1.2 meeeeeeeellion dollars, with matching funds from the U.S. Government.
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Heck, Buck. If all we're talkin' 'bout here is stimulus moneys, then inject away. :p (can of worms, I know...)

Gary:
You're right. I'm lazy about this kind of thing. Obviously not a priority for me to make money off this venture - an unfortunate chagrin for my wife. :wink: Maybe in the next site rebuild. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix