**HST Best of 2008 Contest! (FINAL VOTE)

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!

Vote for your favorite!

Poll ended at Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:15 pm

"Muriel Peak, Humpheys Basin, Kings Canyon National Park. Photo taken during a lull in an early September storm, 2008" - by peninsula
6%
"Tuolumne Meadows - Memorial Day 2008" - by Allyn
3%
"Fishing Before the Storm" - by windknot
3%
"Where's My Waders?" - by Ozark Flip
5%
"Vogelsang Lake - Yosemite National park" - by trailblazer
13%
"Sunset at Sunrise Creek" - by maverick
6%
"Pioneer Basin - John Muir Wilderness" - by trailblazer
19%
"Parker Peak Wildflowers" - by mountainLight
11%
"Lake 11,092, below Snow-Tongue Pass, Kings Canyon National Park. September, 2008" - by peninsula
18%
"Blue Layers - Sequoia NP" - by Hikin Mike
16%

Total votes: 79

ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

**HST Best of 2008 Contest! (FINAL VOTE)

Post by ERIC »

Thank you to all who submitted entries, and to all of you who emailed or PM'd nominations for the field of 10. A total of 26 people nominated photos, and a total of 16 photos were nominated. The field of 10 was selected by weighting 1st) photos nominated multiple times, and 2nd) the order in which photos were nominated (time stamp of email or PM).

In no particular order, below are the final 10 photos. Please vote for your favorite. The poll will be open for votes from March 1st through March 15th. If two photos tie for 1st or 2nd place, a one week runoff poll will serve as the tie-breaker.

Cheers!

"Muriel Peak, Humpheys Basin, Kings Canyon National Park. Photo taken during a lull in an early September storm, 2008" - by peninsula

"Tuolumne Meadows - Memorial Day 2008" - by Allyn

"Fishing Before the Storm" - by windknot

"Where's My Waders?" - by Ozark Flip

"Vogelsang Lake - Yosemite National park" - by trailblazer

"Sunset at Sunrise Creek" - by maverick

"Pioneer Basin - John Muir Wilderness" - by trailblazer

"Parker Peak Wildflowers" - by mountainLight

"Lake 11,092, below Snow-Tongue Pass, Kings Canyon National Park. September, 2008" - by peninsula

"Blue Layers - Sequoia NP" - by Hikin Mike
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: **HST Best of 2008 Contest! (FINAL VOTE)

Post by oldranger »

My single vote was quite painfully cast. I can truthfully say that 9 of 10 could have gotten my vote depending on my mood at the time of casting the vote. The 10th was a fine photo as well but just not what I was looking for in this contest. Each of the finalists should be proud of their work. It gives those of us who simply take snapshots something to admire and perhaps try to emulate in the future. My personal thanks to all who entered. You have added to my winter of waiting.

Cheers

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
f212
Topix Novice

Post by f212 »

I was bummed to see the email for final voting in my mailbox: I had planned to submit one or two of my photos for consideration. But after looking at these, I'm relieved: All of them are not only WAY better than any of mine, they are SPECTACULAR! Really beautiful work to all of those who submitted, and a special thanks to those who organized the competition.
JimJ
Topix Novice

Post by JimJ »

Exquisite job by each photographer. So difficult a choice I changed my mind time and again before "Vote," "Submit." Then changed my mind again, "Oh no!" before realizing a truce had been forced upon ten judges battling inside my heart and head. My gosh, what a relief. Wow!

Best of luck to each finalist. Cheers to your fine work. And to each and every entrant in this contest, thank you so much. You've shared and we've received. Such pleasure.

Jim :)
yosemitechris
Founding Member

Post by yosemitechris »

All are gorgeous photos. The first time I saw a photo of Dusy Basin, I planned a trip there. Ditto Pioneer Basin. I live in NM now - but may be back in a Cali for a year. I hope!! =D>

Yosemite Chris
ERIC
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

In case some of you didn't catch it, there was a typo in the announcement email. Poll ends March 15th, not February 15th. #-o
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
benca98
Topix Novice

Post by benca98 »

Everyone who submitted photos captured the visual environment so well, they all are winners in my book, Congratulations.

I was quite torn between "Vogelsang Lake ", Pioneer Basin, Parker Peak Wildflowers, and Lake 11,092.... It was such a difficult decision... finally I looked for detail in each throughout the range of the image and focus and I choose Parker Peak Wildflowers...
Buck Forester
Founding Member

Post by Buck Forester »

You guys don't make it easy to choose! Some great images! But I have chosen and I will have to live with my decision for the rest of my life.
It's all about the WILDERNESS!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/buckforester/page9/
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Hoo boy, what a tough decision this is! Every one is outstanding. I had to consult my artist wife for some expert advice to narrow my selection to a final choice. Her eye for excellent artistic quality once again enhances my appreciation for the Sierra. Thanx to ALL who contributed to this gig - - the scope and variety of how each of us sees the Sierra is a source of immense pleasure. =D>
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

WOW!! Really great shots. Every one of them is a "winner".
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir