GPS Tracklogs posted for trails

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

GPS Tracklogs posted for trails

Post by gdurkee »

Don't know if this has been posted here before, but just found this site which has tracklogs posted for trails. Here's California:

http://www.redtrails.com/forests.asp?state=CA&page=1

Not clear what his standards are, but it's pretty cool. You can download the GPX or project it on Google Earth.

George
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: GPS Tracklogs posted for trails

Post by BSquared »

Extremely cool! Thanks, George!

-B²
hikehigh
Topix Novice

Post by hikehigh »

Be careful with some of those tracks. Sometimes people just trace the trail on mapping software and don't actually go out and create a track by hiking the trail. :drinkers:
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

hikehigh wrote:Be careful with some of those tracks. Sometimes people just trace the trail on mapping software and don't actually go out and create a track by hiking the trail. :drinkers:

Ditto that!!

I just quickly looked at a few near me and it lists trails that no longer exist on the ground but are still on some older maps, and location errors.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

I didn't like what i saw on the redtrails page. It seems to me that if you take a trail, you accept it as the trail unless you go "off trail." Then the adventure starts..

Russ
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Another good site for track sharing and mapping is everytrail.com. I started storing my GPX tracks there since it makes it easy to embed them into my blog posts. It's not perfect but I know they are working on a full overhaul of the user interface which should lead to some improvements. It's also the service that SPOT is/will be using for their tracking.

Example track page (Whitney day from my High Sierra Trail trek).

If you store your photos on Picasa or Flickr you can display your photos as pins on the track. Example with photos (trip posted by a friend)
f212
Topix Novice

Post by f212 »

Everytrail is awesome. (Has a great iPhone app too!). It, and Wikiloc have layers in Google Earth that you can turn on and see their tracks projected on the Earth. Go into the Layers palette, twirl open up the Gallery section, and select Everytrail and Wikiloc. Everytrail allows users to upload a photojournal as well as displaying the gpx track, and Wikiloc is much more simple, allowing just the track.

There's a great Wikiloc track of the PCT from the Mexico border all the way to Tahoe by IntrepidAntipedean. And it's pretty clear that it's a real track, not laid down off a map!