President Obama as a Hiker?

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Hetchy
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

President Obama as a Hiker?

Post by Hetchy »

I want to avoid political discussion here.. truly.
My intent is to explore the issue as it relates to ALL of our interests as related to hiking the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I have recently learned that our new president is a smoker.. and a smoker that wants to quit. Could it be so far from both our interests, whom ever we might be, or which political designation, that we would not at least suggest a route for our commander in chief to take to achieve his goal?
I suggest a Unilateral Hiker Contingent to offer their support. And if nothing else an email campaign to support President Obama in his quest towards a healthier and longer life without cigarettes through the use of hiking.
I know from personal experience that hiking is a cure for addiction, idleness, and the occasional homicidal roomate, as well as being dam good fun!
What can we do to support our new president? A big question, I know, but a question, that the answer to which, affects us all, now more than ever. ThankYou, Matthew Edwards , Hetchy

Addenum: Theodore Roosevelt inherited no less a mess than our current Pres., and he fully embraced the likes of John Muir himself.. I think we would be remiss to think we can have no less effect through ACTION. We all are aware of disappearing wildlands.. let us stoke a wildfire amongst those in power now, to protect that which we so love and wish to preserve for those we love in turn. If not for ourselves, let us labor to protect the Sierra Nevada for those that follow.
In fact, leave a reply,address it to our president, and I will ensure to copy it verbatim and send it to his website..I am getting better at this web stuff and I can assure you I can copy and paste for you with success! Let us get the word out!
You can make more money, but you can't make more time.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: President Obama as a Hiker?

Post by dave54 »

He was fairly clear on his website that outdoor recreation was not his milieu. He is unabashedly a inner city kid and seems to want to remain so.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Dave54, You are totally correct Sir.
I checked, and this man has not been properly "baptised" in the Sierra Nevada.
What an opportunity!! Can you imagine? How did you feel upon the first view of a granite dome? Or a thousand foot waterfall? Or the complete silence of the backcountry far from the trail?
I contend the best chance we have to get our concerns addressed are; in the full fledgedged baptism of Mr. Obama in the blessed waters of the Toulumne River.
We have a duty to this man. And the rest of the country ,to educate and mutually explore the options availiable for the continued use of the U.S. wilderness lands. If not us.. who will speak out?
This is an historic opportunity to seize the attention of a president.
Though he may be overwelmed with domestic problems. He may also find solace, as we do , in the farther regions of our glorious backcountry. And that solace; as it has for the rest of us, may stem the tide of development and ruin. Worse still the plunder of the Sierra itself in the name of... progress. We have four years, possibly eight to influence this man. That is what it is, plainly.
And if what you say is true .. we have much to do.
Let the granite domes, the raging falls, the silent places speak for us..Fine.
But first we need to get him there. Hetchy
caddis
Founding Member

I'll support the Pres.

Post by caddis »

Hetchy wrote: I suggest a Unilateral Hiker Contingent to offer their support.
I'll support him. Should i send one carton or two?
Hetchy
Topix Regular

Post by Hetchy »

Good One Caddis! Kinda knocked me off my soapbox with that reply and that little whipping guy you got there at the bottom, Thanks, I need that sometimes.. because I get the ivory tower thing going at times. I guess the idea is about as realistic as a submarine with a screen door!
Cheers, Hetchy