Date range for first big snow in fall

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Date range for first big snow in fall

Post by gdurkee »

Dave54's September 20th date for the Caribou wilderness is not bad for the Sierra. I'd say that anytime after that date, you stand a fair chance of every storm being a snow storm (above 9,000 feet). After about October 10th or so, I'd sure pay attention to places to bail out. It's true that until about October 10th, the snow is likely to melt in a day or two, but it really starts getting chancy.

In my experience, most people start losing the trail at about 8 inches of snow -- that's not much. Although a fair number of people hike after Oct. 15th, I wouldn't recommend going out for longer than the last good long-range forecast you've got.

This has come up recently in backcountry NPS discussions because there's been several searches in the fall after people are overdue when it snows. I'd recommend:

Make sure someone knows exactly what route you're taking as well as contingencies in case of bad weather. That is, "if it snows when I'm here, I'll go this way...". Then stick to the agreed plan.
The person should also have the make, model and license number of your vehicle. And that you've agreed on a date that person is to call you in as overdue.

If it's a self-registration permit when you leave (often the case in October) also leave that information attached to the permit you fill out as well as the contact number of a friend who you'd check in with. Remember that even with that information attached to a permit, no one will look for you unless you've got someone to report you as overdue (or your car is found buried under 5 feet of snow in December...).

There was a guy last November who headed out and got dumped on by Red Peak Pass. Decided to hunker down -- not a bad decision, but NO ONE was responsible for knowing where he was or when he was coming out or what his route was. Bozo. NPS spent probably $10,000 on that (which is to say, you, the taxpayer).

Like I said, people do it, but I really wouldn't recommend a long-distance alpine trip after about October 10th.

George
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi George D

Are you the ranger stationed at Crabtree with his wife? If yes, I met the both of
you several years back.
You are one of the few rangers that I have met in the backcountry, besides the rangers
at Pear Lake(young Austrian fellow maybe 10yrs ago), woman at Rae Lakes, a couple
coming from Washington State(Cascades NP) at Bench Lake junction, Randy who's name
I recall because of the long chat I had with him near Arrow Peak back in the 90's, and
the ranger stationed at Little Five Lakes, who I met recently(2yrs ago), really nice guy.
Oh yeah and the ranger station at Leconte who was on his way to meet the ranger stationed
at Colby Meadow (latin name, maybe starts with an "M") to go fishing in Ionian Basin.
Sorry but I am not great with names.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

Maverick:

Yep, I was at Crabtree maybe 6 years ago?? Sounds like you've run into most of us, which is actually unusual... .

Do you happen to remember (or can dredge up) exactly when and where you met Randy near Arrow Peak? Was it 1996? I'd be really interested, if so.

Thanks,

George
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

No it was 94 or 95 not 96, sorry.
I've been to the Window Lake area before and its quite isolated as is Arrow Lake Basin.
I remember following the investigation, which still brings back feelings of
hopelessness, but I know this does not compare to the loss his fellow rangers felt
at the time and still feel to this day.