Amazing picture of Half Dome?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
STRETCHMAN
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Amazing picture of Half Dome?

Post by STRETCHMAN »

Is it possible to see Half Dome from the Central Valley? Take a look at the photo on the home page of Sierra Visions(.com). Could this be possible? The photo looks real but it seems hard to believe you could get such a clear view of the face of Half Dome from such a low elevation. :cool:
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Amazing picture of Half Dome?

Post by copeg »

I remember when I was a kid visiting Lick Observatory, and on the wall they had a picture take with their powerful telescope looking across the Central Valley into Yosemite Valley...my memory has probably warped that picture quite a bit, but I remember it looking like Tunnel View and I remember just being astonished. Of course, that's 3000ft higher.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

I'm not sure that given the from Denair to Half Dome you would be able to see that much of Half Dome with Black Mountain, Trumbull Peak, Turtleback Dome and El Capitan along the way. Seems like there may be some photoshopping going on to me.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

...and we just drove by there yesterday! My kids go to Keyes every Tuesday....I guess I'll have to check for myself.... :D
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Allyn wrote:I'm not sure that given the from Denair to Half Dome you would be able to see that much of Half Dome with Black Mountain, Trumbull Peak, Turtleback Dome and El Capitan along the way. Seems like there may be some photoshopping going on to me.
Yeah, Half Dome looks way out of proportion to the other mountains in the area. Just doesn't look right to me.
Windwalker
Founding Member

Post by Windwalker »

I agree Half Dome doesn't look that big....even from Tunnel View.
In this picture it's just a few miles away....doesn't look very big in the scheme of things.
Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Post by Allyn »

That is the angle from the photo in question. It seem sot me that from the central valley it would be hard to see so much of the face of half dome from there. Kind of like the picture of Mars that is as big as the moon!
STRETCHMAN
Topix Acquainted

Post by STRETCHMAN »

There is also a post about this same photo on SummitPost.org.(Sorry, but I dont know how to add the link.)
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

STRETCHMAN wrote:There is also a post about this same photo on SummitPost.org.(Sorry, but I dont know how to add the link.)
Copy the URL and then hit the URL icon at the top of the post area. Paste in the URL. It looks like this when you're done:

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewto ... 2783150161
Last edited by The Other Tom on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRETCHMAN
Topix Acquainted

Post by STRETCHMAN »

Thanks Tom, next time I will try to add the link. :)