SOL light cap 200

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SOL light cap 200

Post by markskor »

I was down at my local REI today, picking up a new set of Gregory shoulder straps. To be honest, mine are fine on the ol’ Shasta, but spotting a recent, REI.com ad, “discontinued: stop-carrying-this-item policy” - Gregory straps – (I really just needed a new sternum strap, but they were selling the whole assembly - in fact all Gregory harnesses/belts, for 83¢, so I splurged).

Anyway, figured as long as I was there, I might as well spend a few minutes (read 1 hour +), browsing around… (Hard to believe, Huh?)

Interesting find was this SOL light cap 200 – 2.6 ounces.
Claims: “Sealed Photocell turns a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle into a Solar-Powered Lantern.” LightCap 200 ... http://www.sollight.com

My regular REI guy said that this was fastest selling item in the store. Thought it pretty cool too - $25.00, so I grabbed one. Anybody seen/used this product?
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
hikerduane
Founding Member

Re: SOL light cap 200

Post by hikerduane »

I use Gatorade bottles now, they save me 7 oz. over two Nalgenes. Is the lantern intended more for group use? Plus, my two old Nalgenes are dark colored. A romantic glow?:)
Piece of cake.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

That's pretty nifty. Have you tried it out yet to see what the real life charge time is?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Unfortunately, been raining steady here in Sacramento...so no fricking sun to charge it adequately....says you should charge it first 12 hours in full sun for best results. I have it sitting on inside window sill - does light - (push off/on switch), but dims quickly...probably because no good sun.
Claims up to 8 hours on a full charge, but would be happy with 3 or 4, (maybe 1 hour reading per night is what I normally do).... and with four bulbs, very bright output.
Whatever, I still think its cool, and the added 1 1/2 oz worth it, if you carry a 1 liter nalgene (anyway).
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:Whatever, I still think its cool, and the added 1 1/2 oz worth it, if you carry a 1 liter nalgene (anyway).
That's kinda my thinking as well. I'm not an über weight weenie, so 1.5 oz extra isn't a deal breaker for me. If they light for a solid 3-4hrs and enough to read a book with, I'm sold.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Fully charged now - came home for lunch and turned it on...3 hours later when I got home (teacher's hours) it was as just as bright as when I left.
Four, sealed, ultrabright LEDs and at least 3 hours rechargeable light...even has a sensor that turns the lights off in the day.
I still think its cool.
Mark