Boot Question

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
kgw
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Boot Question

Post by kgw »

Reminds me of my Lowa alpine boots purchased at the Sports Chalet in Inglewood, oh, about 40 years ago! :eek: I could toe-point on 1/2" wide ledges with those boots, and they lasted for years. . .I just bought a pair of Patagonia Huckleberrys: a low-cut approach style shoe. My last pair died on last fall's trip up Big Pine Creek: I had to tie the sole to the upper half-way in!

sierranomad
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierranomad »

Sigh.

My first pair of real backpacking boots (Vasque Skywalk) were comfortable out of the box, gave a spring to my step, and lasted over 10 years.

Subsequent boots I've purchased haven't been as comfortable, supportive or long-lasting.

Since I'm planning on doing the JMT this summer I've been doing a lot of research trying to find a boot like the first pair I had. I talked to Campmor's Customer Support and he told me that since Vasque and other boots have gone to China their quality has gone down considerably and they (Campmor) are getting considerable returns. He suggested Asolo (though they are now being manufactured in China, too). But in viewing reviews on Asolo boots online I find that more than a few have the same complaints: soles that delaminate and/or wear out quickly.

You'd think that if you spend $200 on a pair of boots you could get something that would last. I guess I'll go to REI, take a few hours of the salespeople's time in trying out boots and "cross my fingers" that they'll take me from Yosemite to Whitney.
Jon

"When one tugs on a single thing in nature, he finds it's attached to the rest of the world". - John Muir
DJG
Founding Member

Post by DJG »

I spent hours trying on various boots for backpacking with a heavy pack. Got it down to two different manufacturers, ended up with the pair "made" by REI, but really made by Raichle for them (I think they are the Spirit GTX's, with Gore-Tex liners). I didn't fool myself into thinking I wasn't going to be carrying a heavy pack, for week-long trips, so I was only interested in a well made, supportive boot. I'm old school enough to still do the two-sock thing. The boots required little breakin, haven't disappointed and its been a few years now. I wouldn't say they make my feet hot, but not sure how much they breathe either.

Some of the above posts by others indicate they like to go crosscountry and/or travel pretty light, so the choices they've made were tailored accordingly. I've got some day-hike boots for when I'm not carrying much of a pack, and have tried them with a load but ended up with some flat feet at day's end.

So, for me its fit and function driven. If I can get 'em on sale all the better, but I've never bitched about my boots while I'm out there either.
baywolf
Topix Newbie

Post by baywolf »

The two boots I am currently wearing are the LOWA Renegade GTX Mid and the MERRILL Snowmotion 6. I put 1,000 + miles on the LOWA boots before the toe rubber and side stiching broke down. They are light-weight (some reviewers I have read say "Not for Backcountry", but they did work for me. I hike trail and x-country during my duties as a Backcountry Ranger for the USFS, with packs @50lbs. I like the lightness and feel of these boots. For wet conditions I really like the MERRILL Snowmotion. I use them for snowshoeing and all winter and wet condition hiking. I do carry a pair of gore-tex socks if I know I will be crossing streams.