Obelisk Lake Route Questions

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Obelisk Lake Route Questions

Post by TehipiteTom »

Dave, I've considered that high traverse for the return, but I'm leaning toward heading down to the Merced because a) water availability looks dicey in a drought year (I'm not the superman some of y'all are--I would need to camp somewhere along the way); and b) I've never done any of the Merced above Nevada Fall, and it looks spectacular enough to see once (I don't plan on camping in the main part of LYV, though).
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

TT and Mark,
Here are some photos from Red Peak Pass to Adair,only 5 more months! As you can see the route is a piece of cake I have no idea why they didn't like it. (especially #2) click on photos for a little more detail.
P1000418.JPG
P1000428.JPG
P1000436.JPG
P1000443.JPG
P1000450.JPG
P1000453.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Nice photo report...looks like I might just have to take a look for myself.
Anybody wet a line in Adair?
July 20th huh TT?
May just have to tag along with you, if you don't mind the company...might make the wife a bit happier if not going solo.
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

MARK
07-07 Adair Golden.jpg
MIKE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Excellent pics, oldranger. Very helpful.

Mark, let's keep in touch.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Mark and Tom

Just came across this:

http://yosemiteexplorer.com/trails/obelisk-lake

Mike
Mike

markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just got a PM from this perky youngster...named Tehipite Tom…still wet behind the ears it seems. Anyway, the way it now looks is that all three of us (myself, OldRanger, and TT), are planning joining forces for what promises to be an epic summer journey. The Adair, Obelisk X-country route…meeting up mid July, 15 miles in, at Red Devil, Etna, or someplace close to… with 6 other lakes thrown in for good measure …figure 10 – 13 days of fishing. Who knows where we will eventually end up, or what damage we three can do to Yosemite.
Best part is that TT volunteered to carry all the heavy gear, as he brags about his being so much younger. Watch out Sierra, here we come.
Mark
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

markskor wrote:Best part is that TT volunteered to carry all the heavy gear, as he brags about his being so much younger. Watch out Sierra, here we come.
Mark
Sure, but only if I get to eat some of those fish you old guys catch. ;)

It's going to be an awesome trip--really looking forward to it!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Let me know the exact date you guys are planning to meet up at Red Devil Lake
I may be passing thru on my way to the Lyell Fork area.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mav,
Nothing set in stone yet, but tentative plans, (at least on my end), is to leave Glacier Point area (Mono Meadows) around the 19th...TT on the 20th, head for Ottaway/Reds Peak Pass. Meet up 2 - 3 days later at Red Devil or Edna, or?...(these details will be finalized come mid June). Soon after that, God willing, meet up with OldRanger on the trail somewhere, and do a 3-man caravan, X-country down to Adair. Next night Obelisk and down, cross the Merced - then hopefully to Washburn. After that, either up to Isberg, or down to Valley...still up in the air here where we come out.
Maybe, with a bit of planning, we can get the entire HST membership to join up in the middle of the Yosemite wilderness...wouldn't that be a hoot.
Does any of this work out for you?
Mark