Women's 0-degree or sub-zero sleeping bags

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Women's 0-degree or sub-zero sleeping bags

Post by ERIC »

Is it just me, or is the overall selection out there pretty poor for women's size regular zero bags. I have a North Face zero bag, but in search of one for my wife that's not too big/heavy, or going to break the bank. Keeping a close eye on geartrade.com, but other than that, everything seems to be out of my price range considering my wife is entry level. Am contemplating going the +15 route (since the selection and price seem to be better) with the addition of a liner to improve the overall rating. Also looking at a used The North Face Snowshoe 0-degree bag.

Thoughts?
Ideas?
Criticisms?
Jokes at my expense?

:)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: Women's 0-degree or sub-zero sleeping bags

Post by markskor »

You are probably right...not much cheap to be found but Alps, Lafuma, and Big Agnes out there for women...all not acceptable because of variety of reasons: weight, stuff size, and/or overrated as to actually being 0°.

If I may ask...why does it have to be a woman's bag? Size? Color? Eye color?
You might just have to bite the bullet here (meaning big $$$) and get her a real down bag matching yours, or be prepared to switch when she starts complaining.
:crybaby: .
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:You are probably right...not much cheap to be found but Alps, Lafuma, and Big Agnes out there for women...all not acceptable because of variety of reasons: weight, stuff size, and/or overrated as to actually being 0°.
Yes, worry over the rating being what it's billed as was my biggest concern.
markskor wrote:If I may ask...why does it have to be a woman's bag? Size? Color? Eye color?
You might just have to bite the bullet here (meaning big $$$) and get her a real down bag matching yours, or be prepared to switch when she starts complaining.
:crybaby: .
Well, color isn't really an issue. But in terms of fit, warmth at the feet, weight, and stuff size I felt a Women's bag that truly fits her would be the preferred option. I ended up going with the North Face Snowshoe 0-degree bag mentioned in my previous post. Not ideal, but hoping it'll be comfortable enough, and warm enough, to keep her happy.
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

I have a serious basic question about woman's bags...what is the difference and why. Besides maybe being a bit shorter, is there any other major different set of criteria for women? Color? Placement of down?
I notice that they all are offered, stating that they are a little bit larger size in the hip area, but why is this? Most of the ladies I see hiking are not anywhere broader here than the men...in most cases skinnier. Just wondering?
Mountainman who swims with trout
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

markskor wrote:I have a serious basic question about woman's bags...what is the difference and why. Besides maybe being a bit shorter, is there any other major different set of criteria for women? Color? Placement of down?
I notice that they all are offered, stating that they are a little bit larger size in the hip area, but why is this? Most of the ladies I see hiking are not anywhere broader here than the men...in most cases skinnier. Just wondering?
Going off of what I've read, and a little speculation; length and hip width - as you've mentioned - are the main differences. My wife is 5' 4". A regular Men's bag is usually for heights up to 6' 0". Long is usually for heights up to 6' 6". So I figure in a Men's regular my wife would have about 6" between her toes and the bottom of the bag. I've read in a couple of places that having too much extra space (anywhere in your bag) can affect temperature much like the difference between mummy and standard sack design. The more airspace, the more energy it takes to heat that space. I don't think the hip width of a Women's bag is necessarily larger as the bottom of the bag is more tapered than a Men's bag. Shorter bag and more form-fitting to the figure of a woman is, I think, a design effort to limit the excess airspace and thus improve the warmth of the bag.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I 've also seen some descriptions of womans bags having more insulation in the foot and other sections but I don't remember just what the other sections were. Like Eric said, I think that length is the main difference. I don't understand why more manufacturers don't just come out whith long-medium-short lengths like a few companies have.
Gary C.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

gary c. wrote:I 've also seen some descriptions of womans bags having more insulation in the foot and other sections but I don't remember just what the other sections were. Like Eric said, I think that length is the main difference. I don't understand why more manufacturers don't just come out whith long-medium-short lengths like a few companies have.
Gary C.
Like you said, in general it's hard to find short bags out there - and let me tell ya, nearly impossible to find them in zero or sub-zero.
rrivera
Topix Acquainted

Post by rrivera »

I am female and 5'4". I currently have a WM bag Kodiak 0 degree bag as well as a Feathered Friends 20 degree Egret. Feathered Friends makes womens 0 degree bags...I use my FF for the Sierras and I love it. A climber friend of mine recommended them to me and it's definitely been my favorite bag that I have ever owned. I also like my WM bag and it's not designed specifically for a woman I just had to special order the bag since I think they are typically 6'. I honestly don't notice a difference between the fit of the two. Both bags are only a couple of years old so only time will tell but based on reputation they are keepers.