4 day 3 night Sierra backpack trip in mid June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
shiloh
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

4 day 3 night Sierra backpack trip in mid June

Post by shiloh »

I'm looking for an easy/moderate route in the Sierras (loop would be great - semi loop (for car shuttle) ok, or in and out on same trail) for a 4 day/3 night trip (Wed-Sat) to take a youth group of 11-13 yr olds; Ideal: water source each night (lakes/streams/river), beautiful scenery (granite, some trees), maybe able to have campfires - though not a deal breaker, not sure about group size - maybe 8-10. Last 2 years we went near Carson Pass (Meiss Country Wilderness)-- want to go somewhere different this year. We are from San Jose.
Thanks for any ideas!
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Re: 4 day 3 night Sierra backpack trip in mid June

Post by cmon4day »

I would look into the Emigrant Wilderness area. Close to SJ, high alpine feel at a relatively low elevation, and lots of trails to make loop trips. I've been there many times and I think you and the kids will enjoy it.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

You could also try the Boulder Lake route in the Carson Iceberg Wilderness...leaving from the trailhead at Clark Fork. It's a nice area, and you can hike relatively short distances, but then add some day hikes if you want to see more of it
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

The Grouse Ridge-Five Lakes area is a good one for early June and a fairly short drive from the Bay Area. It is pretty easy to improvise different loops, including some with easy off trail hiking. Wood is abundant and fires are legal and there are lakes galore. A most adventurous loop would be to go off trail over Black Buttes (I think that's what it's called) from Glacier Lake and environs (in the Five Lakes area) over to the Beyers Lakes group. This would require some off trail hiking. From SJ via the 152 some of the central western flank really isn't too far away either. Dinkey Lakes and vicinity are usually open by mid June. The Granite Creek area (Ansel Adams Wilderness west flank) is also a good target, but in a heavy snowfall year many of the lakes will be frozen as of mid June--it's way too early to call on whether this will be a light, average, or heavy year.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shiloh
Topix Newbie

Post by shiloh »

Thanks for the ideas -- You are all terrific. I've been researching the Emigrant Wilderness - what a beautiful area -- I'll check into the other locations as well. I'm thinking that a loop isn't really essential -- hiking out the way we came in would be fine -- we'd see the trail and surroundings from a different perspective.
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

In mid June you can expect snow cover on trails above around 10,500' or so...depending on the winter.

If you are going in from the west side of the Sierra, you probably won't be able to get that high in a few days. But on the eastern side, several trail heads start at near 10,000'.

Dinky Lakes is also a nice spot to visit.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

keep in mind that in early summer mosquitoes will be a real problem. Won't abate until late July or early August :cool: