Back to fishies and froggies

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Bad Man From Bodie
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Back to fishies and froggies

Post by Bad Man From Bodie »

Russ, I agree, these folks want pristine fish-free environments for their "experiments" .
There are just sooooo many other potential areas that don't have fish in them that meet the Roland criteria. I vividly remember a series of lakes "deep ones greater than ten feet" just off the trail to Benson Lake in YNP that would be a perfect place to conduct frog research without poisoning or gill netting fish lower in the watershed. I want to see experiments done in these areas first because they are more pristine for all intensive purposes than lakes planted with fish.
BUT......when push comes to shove.....I would be willing to entertain giving up a few basins with stunted fish over trophy fisheries ect. I just think the frog folks have bigger fish to fry here other than frogs :D . I must however admit that even though I enjoy catching larger fish, I enjoy eating the smaller ones less than 12 inches. Unfortunately most the lakes easily accessible (day hike) in the Mono area have stunted fish only. I'm only willing to give up a few of these lakes at best.....Oh wait....I already have :crybaby: :thumbsdown: :crybaby: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: !!!
Last edited by Bad Man From Bodie on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

we noted that there were several ponds around Upper mattie as well that were gillnetted that would be great for frog rehab, without taking the great lake at Upper M. Pissed me off large that the did both. I'm thinking bad managment and percieved interest in Upper M. They could have played with the ponds and not interrupted my fun. they didnt. obvious from this that the NPS and USFS/DFG have different criteria. not sure why that would be the case, if this was all that well understood. Again, more transparency in the process is needed.

Russ
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Bad Man. You have sinned. Your sin is a simple one. You make too much sense. When I climb up on my dung heap and crow, it's my opinion only. First of all, I am not a fan of the great Roland. In some ways he reminds me of the man behind the curtain in the wizard of oz. I have tried reading his studies, but he bores me. I have an inkling that he is another professional starting with a conclusion and every step down his path is another analytical step to prove that conclusion. If I am proved wrong, I will stand in corrected shoes. I am not willing to give up anything. NO NET LOSS!There are too many unknowns in this HYPO thesis. Furthermore, There are more than enough lake systems where neither frog nor fish presently reside. Why is that? Force the lovely frog on those systems first and then lets reasses where we stand. If the professional "experts" can't make the frog survive where there are presently no fish, then quit barking up my crack ,please. I apologize in advance for offending anyone , but there is another side and other opinions on this subject. :o jls
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

ok. I agree with roland's criteria for lakes for frogs (10' deep, some frogs left for repopulation after trout removal (although Roland and others have floated the idea of frog relocation), isolated from trout repopulation, etc). Given, the fungus is a variable, not much i can do about that.

But I do agree with AdleFarte there. Keep the good Basins.

Roland is not alone. He and his fellow researchers all provide support for fishery and native species management. He provides the data and those in political office make the rules. And, we anglers have no clout.

I guess I'm still wondering how we can be better involved BEFOREHAND in avoiding fish removal where it seems silly. There are EA reviews going on in both Yosemite and Seki. You can get involved in reviewing the Aquatic assessments for those areas. I guess we'll have to wait until DFG does their EIR's to provide feedback as i havent seen any pointer to how we can be involved there.

Russ
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well I don't know much about the subject at hand, but I did receive an email containing this:

1. Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Parks

BIOLOGICAL SCIENCE TECHNICIANS (AQUATIC ECOSYSTEM RESTORATION): The
National Park Service is seeking up to six aquatic technicians for the 2009
summer field season in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks (SEKI). All
vacancies are GS-5 positions at $14.24/hr. The primary objective of these
positions is to restore high elevation aquatic ecosystems, with a focus on
enhancing mountain yellow-legged frog populations (Rana muscosa, Rana
sierrae). Primary duties include backpacking to lake basins in park
Wilderness, removing non-native trout populations from lakes and streams
using gill nets and backpack electrofishers, and surveying populations of
the mountain yellow-legged frog. Additional duties include following
detailed protocols, recording environmental parameters, and communicating
an overview of the project to park visitors. Emphasis is on field work in
both team and individual settings. Work dates depend on timing of snowmelt,
but are estimated to be from mid-June to late-September.

To be competitive for these positions, applicants must have 1) considerable
backpacking experience in high elevation mountains, 2) the ability to hike
safely across challenging on- and off-trail terrain, 3) the desire to work
in remote Wilderness for weeks at a time, and 4) a strong commitment to
conducting ecological restoration. Typical past employees have been
upper-level undergaduates seeking degrees in aquatic biology/ecology or
fish/wildlife programs, or had completed undergraduate or graduate degrees
in these fields of study.

Interested applicants must apply through the USAJOBS website at
http://www.usajobs.gov . The job announcement number is SEKI 228053. To
retrieve the announcement, type this number in the keywords search window,
click the search button, and follow the resulting link. To determine
whether you qualify at the GS-5 level, see the "Qualifications &
Evaluations" page. Applications must include a resume that contains contact
information for at least three references, a completed questionnaire (shown
in announcement), and a copy of your college transcripts (if you wish to be
qualified based on experience and education). See the "How to Apply" page
for specific details.

Complete application packages must be submitted by Tuesday, January 20,
2009 to be considered for these positions. For general application
questions, contact SEKI Personnel by emailing Kellie_Lasswell@nps.gov or
calling 559-565-3752. For specific position questions, contact SEKI Aquatic
Resources by emailing Danny_Boiano@nps.gov or calling 559-565-4273.

2. Yosemite National Park

The vacancy announcement below is for amphibian field positions at Yosemite National Park . Work will mostly involve field surveys for amphibians at Yosemite, though some surveys will=2 0be conducted elsewhere in northern California . There may also be opportunities to participate in related research on amphibian chytrid fungus and the pesticides. I will be hiring one or two 2-person field crews.

Successful applicants will have:
- experience conducting field research, preferably involving amphibians
- strong outdoor skills that include hiking, backpacking, camping in remote areas
- ability to work well with a field partner under challenging conditions
- experience with maps, PDAs, GPS, and orienteering
USGS will supply all research equipment, field supplies, and a government vehicle. Field crews will have a campsite at one of the park campgrounds. In some years, a cabin is available for a portion of the season (at no cost), but availability of cabins will not be known until after work begins.

If you apply, don’t make it hard for me to hire you. Provide sufficient detail for me to evaluate your background and contact key people. Make sure to include names and current phone numbers (not just emails) for all supervisors and references. Applicants who provide a one-page resume or state that “references available by request” are not likely to be hired.

Please get in touch with me if you have questions or need additional information. Thanks.

Gary Fellers
Research Biologist
Western Ecological Research Center, USGS
Point Reyes National Seashore
Point Reyes, CA 94956
415-464-5185
gary_fellers@usgs.gov <mailto:gary_fellers@usgs.gov>
http://www.werc.usgs.gov/pt-reyes/fellers.asp <http://www.werc.usgs.gov/pt-reyes/fellers.asp>

APPLY TO: Peggy Hamilton, USGS/BRD, 3020 University Dr East, Modoc Hall Room
3006 Sacramento Ca 95819, FAX (916) 278-9475
Please list the announcement number on the application
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Thanks, Shawn. I just posted this on our department's bulletin board -- might have some students who want to apply (I'm tempted to apply myself!).

-B2
gdurkee
Founding Member

Post by gdurkee »

They're pretty good field jobs. The teams can spend literally all their time in the backcountry in some incredible areas above 10,000 feet. In Sequoia Kings, anyway, you're there a minimum of 10 days at a time. You can choose to go out for days off or stay in camp (I think that's their schedule). For most of the study areas, it a very long day out. Not sure how Yosemite runs theirs -- you're probably closer to a road.

You've also got to have all your gear and food together to go in at once in June and I think there's only one resupply.

Of course, you spend your day in sometimes very cold water in all types of weather, so it gets kind of gnarly.

g.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Work will mostly involve field surveys for amphibians at Yosemite, though some surveys will=2 0be conducted elsewhere in northern California
Gary Fellers is in Point Reyes. Some of that research will spill over into red-legged frog populations v. fish on the coastal range.

Just a note,

Russ
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Hi All,

Dr. Knapp just updated his blog at http://anuranblog.blogspot.com/ with pointers to how to get involved in Yose and Seki Aquatic Planning. It's an agonizingly slow process, but sign up for the newsletters and get involved when possible.

Russ
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Thought you'd all want to join me in "celebrating" Save the Frog Day on April 28th, 2009. For more information, look at http://www.savethefrogs.com/day/. Make sure you have your sound on before viewing to thoroughly enjoy the sound of frogs (not fish).

I got this from Roland Knapp's Frog Blog at http://anuranblog.blogspot.com/

I'm sure most of can come up with a suitable Haiku for the Frog Poetry contest. :-#

Also, they somehow seem better organized than us once again. go figure..

Russ