camera mpeg capability vs. HD camcorder

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

camera mpeg capability vs. HD camcorder

Post by rlown »

Hi All,

I was thinking about switching from my HP R927 to an HD camcorder for backcountry photography. My friends and i mostly go to fish, but we do wildlife and scenery shots as well (bear encounters, and coyotes chasing deer were memorable). Last year's trip was a lot of still shots which are still great, but we started to use the MPeg features more, with the audio/video, it told more of the story of the trips.

I was looking at some of the smaller Canon HD units like the VIXIA HF10. The main problem I couldn't solve was recharge. I would absolutely love that capability, but could not find a 12v solar recharge solution with them.

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Russ
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: camera mpeg capability vs. HD camcorder

Post by The Other Tom »

I don't know if it would fit your needs or not, but a lot of compact digital cameras have video capabilities these days.
check out this feature guide on dpreview http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: camera mpeg capability vs. HD camcorder

Post by rlown »

not really sure i could solve the recharge problem with my current camera which does mpegs as well, without bringing the proprietrary base. I was more interested in the advantage of a full fledged HD camcorder v. a camera.

Still interested,

Russ