Thoughts on 2008

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Rosabella
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Thoughts on 2008

Post by Rosabella »

As I sit here at my desk, quietly reflecting on the events of this last year, I have to say I have no sadness in letting 2008 go. Asside from the economic spiral we're experiencing, and other events that occured this year, this has been a very sad year for my family and me.

My father, age 89 died on March 31st this year. Dad was always my inspiration. Dad did so much with us as we were growing up, but my favorite memories with him are in the Sierra. When we were kids, my Dad took us camping everywhere, and then when I was seven-years old, he decided we were old enough to start backpacking. Our first trip was up Whitney! What a wonderful adventure it was! I was hooked. Every year we took several backpacking trips with family and boy scouts (Dad was a “progressive” leader back in the 60’s and allowed my sister and me to come along.). Dad had a beautiful, adventurous life – he traveled and thoroughly enjoyed his life and his family (all thirteen kids).Dad was strong and proud right to the very end.

Difficult as this was for my family and me, On July 27th my world became an instant nightmare when my younger son died. He was only 21 years old, and the most beautiful person – inside and out – that I have ever known. I don’t have to describe what an amazing person he was, just know that he had such a tender, most loving heart, and he cared for everyone. How do you go on after something like this? ….. I have my wonderful memories….. I have my beautiful pictures….but I also feel like screaming , or just curling up in a ball and never wake up. I know… I know… Day by Day. I do read a lot on the subject and it helps. ... and talk.

I’ve not been on the board much this year…. I’ve only been up in the Sierra a couple days in October. But this next year I’ll be back – to complete a promise I made to my Dad that I’ll do the entire JMT thru hike…. This was a dream of his and mine – that we’d do it together.

The last time my Dad, my two sons, my sister, and I hike all together was in 2001 – Onion Valley to Whitney. What a special trip that was. It was the most memorable backpacking trip we’d ever done.

Well, to conclude this I would like to wish all of you a wonderful, joyous, safe, and very special New Year. My additional wish for you is that you never–ever take you loved-ones for granted. Every day with them is a treasure.

Rosie

Allyn
Topix Acquainted

Re: Thoughts on 2008

Post by Allyn »

Sorry to hear about your Dad and Son. It must be tough. Good luck on your upcoming trip on the JMT. I wish you the best and hope you make it all the way through this time. I know the time I spent on the trail was great. This one for you should be very special.

Take care and Happy New Year!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Rosie,
Sorry for your losses...with the new year, comes much hope for a better year.

As for your summer JMT plans, sounds promising...any thoughts when?
The wife says I get all July free for any possible Sierra adventure I choose...need some company?
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Rosie, my condolences to you and your family, I can only imagine what a tough time this has been - here's to the new year bringing much better times. Your JMT trip sounds like an extra special one, and I'm sure many of us here are willing to lend our help and support in any way that we can
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Wow...I'm sorry about your losses Rosie.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

That's a tear jerker, Rosie. Sorry for the wrong kind of big event year. I always mention when it sounds like or when people need someone to hike with, about the small group I go on some trips with. They go all months of the year, day hikes to week long trips, to the coast, Sierra, north, south and out of state. If you need or want others to go on trips with, very nice people, check out the Yahoo group, NorthCA Hiking. Ages in the upper twenties to 60's or so, singles and married. Some newbies and many with lots of experience and helpful advice.

I lost my dad over 15 years ago, I was hoping some day to get him out on a bp trip, so he could see some of the beautiful country I take for granted.
Piece of cake.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. After I posted this I had second thoughts because I realized it was a sad post to start to the new year, but I couldn’t figure out how to delete it. The holidays have been hard.

I don’t know when I’ll be starting my JMT hike yet. It’s going to be determined by when (if) we get permits for our family’s 50th anniversary hike up Whitney this summer. Depending on what dates we get for the Whitney permit, I’ll set my JMT hike for just before or just after those dates. I’ll be posting more when I’ve got a better picture.

I sure wish we didn’t have to wait ‘til April to find out Whitney permit dates. It makes it difficult to plan with so many people. That first trip in 1957 there was just my Dad, a sister, two brothers and me. With all my family (siblings, in-laws, and kids) I’m going to be requesting a permit for 15 people. What a trip this will be!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Hi, Rosie. Tough year here, too, but not nearly tough as yours.

I'm doing the trail again this year, N-S, starting either in mid-July or late August, so do keep us posted as your dates become clearer -- it's always nice to meet other HST people on the trail (at least I assume it would be; come to think of it, I haven't actually met any of you yet). Hopefully none of us will need satellite phones this time ;). I am thinking of getting a SPOT before going, though, and after last summer (long story...) my spouse will absolutely not hear of my going solo. So it'll probably be a group of two or three more-or-less geezers...

-B2
SteveB
Founding Member

Post by SteveB »

My thoughts go out to you and yours, Rosie... :(

I find myself contemplating the past year also, and while not as dark as yours seems to have been, I find that I have been neglecting the quiet times, the contemplative places, and falling into a dark and ugly place that I haven't been in in some years. It tends to happen when I find something like work or other responsibilities keeping me from the places that recharge spirit and soul. The things I love most I have been avoiding and missing because of a draw from those that darken the spirit, and with your post I realize that I need to change this. In my lack of attention to what matters I realize that those same things that matter are slipping away from me even faster than ever, and it aches my heart. We need to try harder to pay attention to what matters, despite the rigours and responsibilities of our lives.