Death Valley Car Camping. . .

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
kgw
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Death Valley Car Camping. . .

Post by kgw »

We went up with a friend that runs the Death Valley Marathon. DV is an awesome place! We enjoyed brunch at the Furnace Creek Inn on Sunday thanks to another friend who works for Xanterra: she lives in the small village behind the Furnace Creek Ranch.

We enjoyed a light rain Sunday night, which gave us some great early morning light on Monday:

A few more pics here
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Death Valley Car Camping. . .

Post by Shawn »

Hey KGW -

I was at DV for the marathon too. My wife and I enjoyed DV so much, we're now thinking of making a return trip just to tour the valley (we have not been there before). We stayed at Furnace Creek Ranch which was a bit better than I would have expected given the few options.

It's a small world.......
kgw
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by kgw »

Shawn wrote:Hey KGW -

I was at DV for the marathon too. My wife and I enjoyed DV so much, we're now thinking of making a return trip just to tour the valley (we have not been there before). We stayed at Furnace Creek Ranch which was a bit better than I would have expected given the few options.

It's a small world.......
Hi Shawn,
It is a marvelous place, large enough to explore for likely ever. Only our second visit, but there will be more. My wife and I were there last March, with the temps just edging into the mid-80's. The friend who works there says the hot weather during the summer brings out the Europeans. :eek: She and her husband go up to the high places or visit the Eastern Sierra when it gets hot. . .We were out stargazing on her deck (nice 12" reflector), and she mentioned that during the summer it gets "down" to 100 degrees at night. We'll stick with the winter visits :thumbsup:
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

during the summer it gets "down" to 100 degrees at night. We'll stick with the winter visits

Hah - me too. :D

Looked as though many hikers were in the area; looking forward to making a return trip.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Death Valley is addicting :D !
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;