Lightweight strap pocket?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Lightweight strap pocket?

Post by BSquared »

Following the example of Colin Fletcher, I really like to have my (very small) camera, a small notebook and pencil, and maybe an emergency whistle in a pocket where I can easily get at it while I'm backpacking. I have a quite serviceable pocket for the purpose I got years ago, but I recently acquired a demi-light backpack ;) (Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone—they say it's ultra-light, but I got the biggest "ultra-light" I could find), and now the dumb pocket, with its metal snaps and heavy-gauge nylon construction, weighs nearly as much as the pack (well, perhaps this is a slight exaggeration).

I see that Granite Gear sells a shoulder-strap pocket that would presumably fit their own packs—anybody have experience with this? Any other suggestions for an ultra-light pocket?

-B2
cmachler
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Lightweight strap pocket?

Post by cmachler »

I've had good luck using the UnSlack Packs from simBlissity.net (http://simblissity.net/unslack_pack.htm). I use a Canon PowerShot A620, and it fits with room to spare. However, I rarely carry anything else in it, because I don't like to worry about other items falling out while I'm removing the camera... which is why I have a second pocket on my other shoulder strap. :-)

It can be attached to shoulder straps and hipbelts.