A Little Yosemite Help Please

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

A Little Yosemite Help Please

Post by ridgeline »

I had a friend ask a very broad question about hiking in and about yosemite around Christmas. He and his wife are in their early thirties, fit and looking for dayhikes with some elevation gain, not necessarily looking to summit a peak but to enjoy Yosemite in the winter. I told him I haven't a clue but I know a great website to get suggestions from. Any help I could pass on would be appreciated, camping or lodging, hiking, snowshoeing would be an option, They will be driving in from the west.
Thanks
ndwoods
Founding Member

Re: A Little Yosemite Help Please

Post by ndwoods »

I'm guessing Tioga Rd is closed?
Pohono trail tho, Hetch Hetchy area and the North rim would be nice right now...no crowds.
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Hike up Tioga Road to the pass? Lots of el gain. Or turn off at Saddlebag Road? My guess is that the resorts on the west side are open. I used to drive to Badger Pass to ski.

Hikin Mike might know?
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Tioga road and Glacier Point road are both closed this time of year. I'm guessing they will be heading to Yosemite Valley? One hike I'd recommend this time of year is Snow Creek. It's surprisingly not crowded (esp. this time of year), and the view across to the face of half dome is incredible. If there is any sort of snowpack by then, I'd also recommend a ski/snowshoe from Badger Pass (rentals are usually available if the the ski area is open - scheduled to open tommorow) down Glacier Point Road, perhaps even as far as Dewey Point. Hetch Hetchy is also a good idea.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Thanks everyone!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ridgeline

I'll assume they will be going to the Valley.
Go to the Yosemite NPS site click on "thing to do" and then "during winter" and
this will give them some options in the Badger, Crane Flat, and the Mariposa
Grove areas.
They will find lodging alternatives listed on the same site too.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

My wife and I have gone almost every winter since 1983. To be honest, I only like to go to the Valley in the winter. On weekdays (except during school vacations, which around Christmas obviously is) there are very few people in the Valley. During the day, most people take the shuttle bus up to Badger Pass for the day. You can hike most trails and see very few people. As mentioned, Snow Creek is wonderful. Also up to Nevada Falls - we've done it a few times and seen only a couple of people after the Vernal Falls bridge. Even the hike up Yosemite Falls isn't very crowded, though the trail is usually blocked off at the base of the upper falls. And even areas such as El Capitan Meadow, Mirror Lake, Ahwahnee Meadow, or just walking across the center of the Valley from the Lodge can offer solitude, especially early in the morning (I get up to take pictures and the only people I usually see are a few employees). We especially love going during the full moon - there's nothing like walking across the Valley with the snowy cliffs shining in the moonlight.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

For a different take on the Park, I would highly recommend heading down to Wawona and the Mariposa Grove. Snowshoeing/hiking around the giant sequoias, seeing the deep red bark against the dark earth/snow is an amazing contrast. Lots of places to explore and all day to take to do it...

Hope they have a good time! :D
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621