earliest time to go?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
croupier
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

earliest time to go?

Post by croupier »

Hi, i was wondering what's the earliest time to go up into the sabrina basin area in spring without having to deal with tons of snow and crazy weather? March? I don't mind getting snowed on a bit, but i'd rather not have to deal with snowshoes and pitching my tent on snow and all that. I've never gone in spring, and I guess i'll have to also worry about stream crossings as well (which vary per trail).
trav867
Topix Regular

Re: earliest time to go?

Post by trav867 »

I can't speak about specifically the Sabrina Basin and I'm sure you'll get more accurate answers, but the true "summer" season (ie no snow camping) usually doesn't begin until mid June (and often later) in most of the sierra. I'm pretty sure any of the passes into Sabrina will be snow covered until at least then.
Lower elevations will obviously be snow-free earlier in the year, so you might look at more accessible options for an early season trip sans snow.
SPeacock
Topix Regular

Post by SPeacock »

Father's Day (toward end of June) was a traditional first trip into the eastern Sierra with the younger kids in the family. Typically eastern Sierra accesses were clear up to about 11,000'. From there the trails were snow covered with up to 6 foot berms and deep post holing near the edges and trees. Passes such as Bishop, Kearsarge and Army were different levels of an adventure. The snow would be soft enough to kick steps, but a bit more gear reduced some of the pucker factor in the parents. One year we got a very heavy snow at Cottonwood that caused us to exit to the car over night.

Even on bigger snow winters the trails over some of the passes had very deep snow, but passable with care by mid July. Most trails leading up to the passes were clear and there were plenty of places to spread a camp on bare ground.

By end of July most passes have had well trampled snow paths and clear ground/trails below them.

But actually any time from March on is very nice. But just expect snow not too far above the trail head entrance on the east sides.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

All depends on what kind of weather we get.
I think June might be okay, but you may have some snow if we get some heavy storms
during the early spring.
If you go earlier you may have more snow, but no skeeterz, as opposed to going later
in July .
May is nice with the longer and warmer days, which allows for longer hikes and less
clothing than in the winter, but you still have 5-7" of snow in some places, so you'll have solitude.
Also depending on what elevation you go to you will not have to melt snow for water
because some thawing has occurred.
croupier
Topix Novice

Post by croupier »

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like i'll find someplace else to go until June/July.