Precipice Lake

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
danmitch
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Precipice Lake

Post by danmitch »

On a trans-Sierra pack trip this summer (west to east on the High Sierra Trail) I had the good fortune to revisit Precipice Lake in good photography conditions. This lake is on the HST high above Hamilton Lake, not too far before the crossing of Kaweah Gap, and the location is one you might recognize from a famous 1932 Ansel Adams photograph. You might also recognize it if you have seen Vern Clevenger's fine image from this lake.

In any case, when I arrived (in early August) we had broken clouds that were alternating illuminating parts of the lake and then providing some more subdued lighting. The first shots I tried were from more or less what I think of as "Ansel's spot" on rocks along the shoreline where the ascending trail first comes up to the lake.

I spent a fair amount of time carefully photographing this scene from this position, using tripod, remote release and all the usual stuff. Finally, it was time to move on. I loaded up the camera and equipment, packed the tripod away, shouldered my pack and headed perhaps 150 feet up the switchbacks above the lake...

... and then looked back to see beautiful light coming over the top of the cliffs above the lake and illuminating the underwater boulders that are found at the base of a talus slope along the lake shore. For a moment I almost didn't bother to shoot - believe it or not, I didn't want to go to the trouble of unpacking everything so soon. But my better instincts won out and I quickly unloaded and managed to get a few shots off before the light changed.

G Dan Mitchell - http://www.gdanmitchell.com
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Precipice Lake

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the tease Dan, but where are the pic's?
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

*no_pics*
I can't see pics either, only "?" Looking forward to seeing them!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Nice post Dan...and nice pics as well.
I'm guessing you have hotlinking disabled on your server, which is why we can't see the pics unless we right click the ? marks or red x's and open the image in a new window which is what I did to see them (with many server configurations, you can enable hotlinking on a site by site basis if you wish).
danmitch
Topix Novice

Re: Precipice Lake - Can You See Them Now?

Post by danmitch »

Ah, sorry! You are correct that I have hotlinking disabled on my server, and this site was not in my exception list - it is now.

Unfortunately I now see that the full image doesn't fit in the rather narrow columns of this forum. Hmmm... For now I've placed thumbnails below with links underneath:

Not certain how to make the thumbnails clickable within this forum interface.

Dan

---------------------------------------------

EDIT: I fixed it for you, Dan. Click the edit button to see the source code. ~ ERIC
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

"More Better"! Nice to see you here Dan and nice photos as usual! :D
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Right click works for me! NICE!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Dan, nice pic's. Did I see the first one over on FM?
danmitch
Topix Novice

Post by danmitch »

maverick wrote:Thanks Dan, nice pic's. Did I see the first one over on FM?
Hi:

Yes, I think I did post that one there. I don't post many photos at FM, but I think that the Precipice Lake image was one of the handful I've shared there in the past few months.

Dan
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Very nice. Especially the alpinglow on the lake. Thanks for posting