Low-elevation in Seki or KC?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
alpinegroove
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Low-elevation in Seki or KC?

Post by alpinegroove »

With 20% chance of precipitation on Saturday only, I am heading to the Hetch Hetchy area after all.
I am very curious about Domelands. Can you say a bit more about it?
Favorite spots, routes, etc.?

Thanks
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Alpine, this blurb on SummitPost says it better than I possibly could. http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/17 ... rness.html

It's a bit circuitous driving to the more interesting trailheads. The trip I've taken (twice, with small variations) was Great Meadow to Manter Meadow to Rockhouse Basin. I've also climbed some of the domes. It's not the High Sierra, but with the rock formations and pinyon pine type forest it is well worth a visit. One problem is that many water sources dry up by fall. On the trip I took in October, I had to hike quite a ways from our camp to ferry water back for the two innocent victims I dragged along on my hike!
Bernard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Bernard »

I would be very curious to know how this went. I presume that you have returned?

I have limited experience as far as late-season runs go. I am guessing that you are probably already watching the weather very closely and considering backup plans and optional treks down to the last minute.

I did the Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne dropping in from White Wolf early last November. We went in after the road closures by the way. It was a dry year and we lucked-out with great weather and a zillion bears. I am not joking, a zillion. A fall chill came in a day or so after we came out. Dodged that bullet. One thing which is alluded to in your post and mentioned in subsequent posts is the relationship between elevation and temps. To make a pickup rendezvous, we were forced to hike a little at night out of the canyon and you could feel the temps change radically with every 500 feet of gain. Similar thing happened when exiting Tehipite a couple of years earlier although we didn't hike at night.

I am going to do "something" this coming weekend and am setting my sights on low elevations to minimize possible weather headaches. This is a neat time of the year but I am a big chicken of the cold. I'm trying to deal with it trust me.

Looking forward to your report.

B.
Last edited by Bernard on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpinegroove
Topix Novice

Post by alpinegroove »

Returned today. Cold, a couple of inches of snow the first night, but overall a great time. Will report more later on.
Bernard
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Bernard »

Just got back a few days ago from a low-elevation borderline foothill trek.
River was high due to residual effects of rain and snow and waters were cold.
All that said, daytime and nighttime temps were perfect and moon was very bright.
Sorry to be so cryptic. Let's just say that the weather is holding out.
Go go go !!!
:)
B
trav867
Topix Regular

Post by trav867 »

Where'd you go Bernard? I'm thinking I'll head out for a few days over thanksgiving and had planned on Ventana Wilderness, but turns out its closed due to fire. I was in Domeland last year, so any ideas for me?