Good trail for a 2-4 day backpacking trip 25 to 28 october

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wannabp
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Good trail for a 2-4 day backpacking trip 25 to 28 october

Post by wannabp »

One year, I hiked out of Yosemite Valley to Merced Lake at the end of October. First night at Moraine Dome, second at Merced Lake, and third at Little Yosemite Valley (best avoided unless you like crowds). A simple hike with classic Yosemite scenery. If I did it again, I would add Cloud's Rest on the return.

Two weeks earlier, I hiked out of Tuolumne to Vogelsang along Rafferty Creek. To my surprise, Rafferty Creek was dry, something to consider wherever you decide to go. A blue line on the map is no guarantee of late season water in the Sierras. Have fun!
markorr
Topix Acquainted

Post by markorr »

Just got back from 4 days around the Mono Divide area. Up to 12400' there's not really any snow, other than a few inches hiding under steep NW facing slopes. Daytime temps were in the high 70's and night time was around 15 (camped @ 11,500 most night). Looks like storms are going to be rolling in later this week so maybe this was the last summer-like trip of the season. I'll post a more detailed report and some pics soon.
AnnieB
Topix Novice

Post by AnnieB »

Sounds like you hit the trail just in time!!
Looking forward to your pics.