Big Cat at Incline.

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
JM21760
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A
Location: Carson City, NV. Former Tahoe South Shore, 25 years.

Big Cat at Incline.

Post by JM21760 »

INCLINE VILLAGE -- Wildlife officials expressed surprise over recent mountain lion sightings in Incline Village, saying the animals are seldom seen in towns.

At least three residents of the upscale north Lake Tahoe community have reported seeing the animals since November.

Jan Dyer, who lives above the Championship Golf Course, said she was able to watch a mountain lion in her yard for about three minutes from a second-story window.

"I realized -- that is not a coyote," Dyer said. "It left paw prints all over my yard. When it trotted off, it headed into the village."

Her neighbor, Barbara Frederic, said the animal has visited her yard three times since Dec. 1.

"We've seen tracks twice and our neighbor said they saw it in our yard" on Jan. 5, Frederic said.

While the Tahoe Basin is considered mountain lion range, U.S. Forest Service officials said, they do not receive many reports of sightings.

"It is not common that you would see one inside of town," said Ted Sayer, wildlife biologist for the agency. "They would probably be moving out of the basin in the winter because that is where the deer population moves."

Chris Healy, spokesman for the Nevada Department of Wildlife, said he has worked in the region for 20 years without spotting a mountain lion in the wild.

While Nevada's mountain ranges are home to many mountain lions, he said, they should not be at snow-covered Lake Tahoe in the winter.

"It is kind of surprising. This is not ideal mountain lion habitat right now," Healy said.

"If it was a mountain lion it was probably a young male. ... A female or a grizzled old tom would know where to go this time of year. Young, stupid males are always getting themselves in trouble," Healy added.

That last sentence just slays me! I'm just glad I made it to be an old grizzled Tom. JM

jdub
Founding Member

Post by jdub »

This is interesting. It seems I have been hearing about mountain lion sightings a lot more in the past few years. I have seen 2 in last 5 years, both at lower elevations ~ 2000ft, and both from my car, but up in Tahoe, it kind of makes me nervous.

BTW- speaking of mountain lions, has anyone ever heard a mountain lion scream, it is the worst sound you will ever hear.

Late,

Jdub
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

Ya. It IS interesting. He's probably surviving on pooches and kitty's.They never were endangered in Cal. and now they are a menace. As a kid I saw many a cougar track in the NP. Wish I had some around here. I would like to pelt one. Put him next to my wolverine. Wonder if they taste good? jls
JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

I'm gonna have to get back to you, once I digest these comments. It's going to take a few days. Ya know, the Cat was here, the Cat is within it's realm. Man shoved his Profit Machine down the Cat's thoat. I am, kind of pissed off, and I will apologise now, if I offend anyone. The Cat, is a marker, of a good enviroment. I am sorry, if I alienate you. Cats, are our good friends. The Cougar, is our friend.
AldeFarte
Topix Regular

Post by AldeFarte »

I love cats. I like cougars. There is just too many of them. TOO many cougars is a sign of what I call predator overload. Predator/ prey population dynamics can be a complicated subject. Suffice to say, too many predators mean too few prey and it has been ever thus. That is not a healthy system for the predator ,or the prey. jls
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

I would feel very fortunate & blessed if I one day saw a mountain lion out in the wilds! Certain areas are seeing more of them because humans are building new homes in there habitat..pushing them away from there homes to find another place to live. I feel very sad for the mountain lion & all the wildlife in today's world..they are all just trying to survive. :crybaby:

To AldeFarte..I hope you will change your mind about what you want to do with a mountain lion..I was sick to my stomach after reading your comments & very disturbed over it :\ Trophy hunting is the very worst there is! I do not think they are a menace..like you say they are. I think there are to many humans = human overload

JM..thank you for your words..no need to apologize
JM21760
Topix Regular

Post by JM21760 »

Satchel the BIG cat was a star at Tahoe around the late 80's(?). He would hang out at the old Nugget parking lot with human friends. (Across from Kahale Drive). You could stop for a visit, and make a donation to help out. It was quite a rush sitting with him. Stretched out, he was a good 8' long. Add the tail, and he was more impressive. His head was much larger than a humans. More like a big medicine ball. His tail was about 6' long, probably more, and as big around as your upper arm. The time I stopped by, he was just stretched out in the sun. I gave him a good ear rub, and was honored with a scent mark rub to my upper body with that massive head of his. He knocked me flat over! The rush was looking at those paws and teeth, while he "loved" you up. I refrained from rubbing his belly. That kind stuff of pisses off some Cats, (Right Chop, my Felis Domesticus?) I was sorry to learn he had passed away. MadeinTahoe, do you remember him? Check out the rest of the website folks, it's really cool.
http://www.tigertouch.org/satchel.html
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Hi JM...Oh yes I remember Satchel very well :D ...I had very mixed feelings over him being out there & was constantly worried sick about him.. for his safety and health...I felt sorry for him because he was on display & I always thought about him wondering how he is doing....Do you know if in fact Satchel was born in captivity? I heard that he was. He was very beautiful and such an elegant cat. All the years he was here in Tahoe..I could never get myself to go see him..I just saw him when I drove by either at the old Nugget or then on the lawn at Roundhill...part of me wanted to see him up closer..but if I did that I felt I would be contributing to a human and a wild animal encounter...which I do not think is good to do for the animals sake...they need to not have human encounters and be afraid of humans for there own safety....but again it may be different if he was born in captivity & has never known the life of living like a free animal. He is a beautiful cat & he is now free to live as he should have lived..nothing can ever harm him again. Thanks for posting that link of him :)