Dayhikes in the June Lakes/Mono Lake area?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
lostlandscapes
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Dayhikes in the June Lakes/Mono Lake area?

Post by lostlandscapes »

Hey everybody,

Gonna be heading down to the June Lakes/Mono Lake area tomorrow night for a long weekend and was wondering about the best hikes/things to do in the area. Don't know much about the area. Planning on spending one day kayaking Mono Lake, but besides that, who knows?

(Btw, I don't have a high-clearance vehicle)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
JMat
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Dayhikes in the June Lakes/Mono Lake area?

Post by JMat »

lostlandscapes,
You looking to do some fishing, investigating some historical areas, extreme scenery or all the above?

JMat
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Panum Crater is a short hike with great views overlooking Mono Lake that doesn't require high clearance.

There's a nice hike from Silver Lake (June Lake Loop) to Gem Lakes or Waugh Lake if you're feeling good.

For a longer hike you can go on the Fern Lake Trail (short & steep), and continue to Carson Peak

Virginia Lakes has some hiking, Dunderberg Peak, or a bunch of lakes to a pass (can't remember name offhand). Not very helpful, am I!

Codester probably knows more since he lives in the area
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Codester
Topix Acquainted

Post by Codester »

If you're looking for some good day hikes, you could do fern lake or yost lake (trailhead near carson peak inn) They are beautiful lakes teeming with small brookies. They're not really long hikes however. you can reach the lakes within 1 hour or so. There is a trail that starts across from the fire station in town that goes from town, then up to june mountain, and then connects with the yost lake trail.
If your looking for a hike a little more challenging, you could hike to agnew or gem lakes from the rushcreek trailhead (down by silver lake pack station). Fishing can be good in agnew from time to time. The waterfall that comes out of agnew is raging right now. They're letting TONS of water out right now.
Parker and walker lakes are absolutely gorgeous as well.
You also won't be too far from the Hoover Wilderness (Saddlebag Lake area). One of my favorite areas to walk around, explore and fish. There are many lakes within a short distance and it would be easy to spend a day there.
Another option would be glass creek meadow, which is on the backside of june mountain. A very beautiful meadow with a small creek flowing through. Hard to catch brookies in there..
Feel free to PM me for more details
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

I think you may be the same person I responded to on the Backpacker message board, but I'll repeat briefly: the best dayhike I ever did out of June Lake area was Reversed Peak. Awesome view of the Ritter Range and the whole Sierra front, Mono Lake, etc. No trail, but easy routefinding.
lostlandscapes
Topix Newbie

Post by lostlandscapes »

everyone, thanks for your responses. you've given me plenty of ideas!