Pictures from the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Pictures from the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness

Post by The Other Tom »

My son took a BP trip to the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness this past weekend and sent me the pictures below. I thought they were pretty good so I decided to post them. This will give you a flavor of what it's like "back east", right Bsquared ?
Anyway, just as an introduction, Joyce Kilmer was the author of "Trees" (I think that I will never see a poem lovely as a tree....).
From Wikipedia "Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness, created in 1975, covers 17,394 acres (70 km2) in the Nantahala National Forest in western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee, in the watersheds of the Slickrock and Little Santeetlah Creeks. It is named after Joyce Kilmer, author of "Trees." The Little Santeetlah watershed contains the largest old growth forest in the United States east of the Mississippi River, the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest."

Sunrise

Moonrise

Fall colors

More color
Codester
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Pictures from the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness

Post by Codester »

great pics! thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you. Nice sunrise.
Piece of cake.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Wow, that's gorgeous! You know, it never occurred to me to go south from here to hike, but obviously I've got that northerner's prejudice. Clearly, I'm going to have to wander down there sometime!

-B2