Best camping at Vee Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Best camping at Vee Lake?

Post by mokelumnekid »

This year the wife and I visited the outlet of Vee Lake after we had been up Seven Gables Pk, and we didn't have the juice to do any exploring. We were amazed at what a wonderful landscape it is. But it is a big lake and we were wondering if anyone can tip us off on where the better campsites might be, without us having to hump around the whole thing. We aren't lazy, honest! And I'm not asking anyone to give away any secrets :rolleyes: just pointers is all. Input of any kind welcome.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Re: Best camping at Vee Lake?

Post by quentinc »

Funny you should ask. I was there two weeks ago and thought I was being clever by trying to camp on one of the isthmuses on the north side. It had a spectacular view, and although I was violating the 100 feet from water rule, the spot was completely hardened, so I didn't care. Unfortunately, though, there was no way to get stakes in the ground (there was a relatively thin layer of sand over rock, as it turned out), and whilst I was fuming about it, my tent blew into the lake! Luckily I was able to retrieve it with only minor damage. I guess the gods were teaching me a lesson?

I think the best views are actually to be had from the "vertex" -- the bottom of the "V" that makes it Vee lake, which is on the east side. But the entire Bear Lakes basin is wonderful , so you can't go wrong wherever you camp.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

I'll second what Q observed; great views of 7 Gables across V (and, I think SSS Dave has a great photo of this in the photography section). That said, I've camped both on the north shore, but more recently on the hump that rises above the outlet creek. This latter spot affords views up the Gables Lake basin, keeps 7 Gables right in your face and avoids the little problem Q had.
CG
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I've camped around the Bear Lakes, and while nice with a rugged remote quality, are a bit more blocky and without the grand sense of sweeping view-shed that I sense one might find at places around Vee Lake.

Comments much appreciated! :D
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I'd say anywhere! haha. When I was there a few years ago I camped on top of the hump on the peninsula on the eastern end, where there were several established sites. I think if I were to return to the lake, I'd opt camp at that spot again.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Camping at Vee Lake can be a bit disappointing because the obvious area is about the spacious flat along the northeast shore. (the area midground right in above pic) And that treeless, exposed area is where most tents go up. At midday without any shade, it is bright and unpleasant. Views are nice there, however they are even better from the east areas of the lake (above). The outlet has nothing flat to offer. The south shores have some large talus to camp beside but then a ridge on the southwest blocks the superb views. As mentioned the peninsula hasn't any legal 100 foot from water camps, And the east side further up in the landscape has no tenting spots unless one inconsiderately camped atop soft turf. If one climbs 50 feet and a few hundred yards east there is a large flat with gruss, but one might as well camp on the northeast side of the lake as it is just as bleak. Now there is a secret location somewhat away from the lake that we camp at that is quite superb. A place one must climb to nearby that has water and turfy wildflowers. A place with a fine view, shade, and nice sandy tenting. Generally wherever we venture to, we make a good effort after arriving exploring for the truly best camp spot and here one can certainly improve.
mokelumnekid
Topix Expert

Post by mokelumnekid »

David:

Has anyone told you lately how much you rock? Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I know what you mean about shadeless camping being brutal in a reflective environment (polished granite, water) at elevation. Last summer we roasted in the high Sierra (of course I've reached the tender age where my skin is about the thickness of rice paper- or so it seems). Thankfully we can still crank out the miles in good form....