Sabrina Basin

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Sabrina Basin

Post by quentinc »

I spent 3 days up in Sabrina Basin, touring the lakes and tackling Mt. Haeckel. I had to look up who Haeckel was (except for Darwin, I always have to look up the Evolution peak guys). He turned to be the one who coined the phrase "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny," which is one of my favorite inscrutable saying, and about the only thing I remember from high school biology. (I climbed Mt. Spencer a couple of weeks ago, and he turns out to be the creator of "survival of the fittest.")

Luckily, the Tehipite smoke seemed to disappear on day 2, when I did Haeckel. Then a storm came in and hailed on me the last day, but it was still terrific. The fall foliage around Lake Sabrina was wonderful. It was interesting how much better it was on Monday than Saturday -- amazing how 2 days can make a big difference!

Pictures are here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/567617770UywoPO

(As I mentioned in my Haeckel post in the climbing board, I can't figure out how to embed pictures in my posts. Sorry! :\ )
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Re: Sabrina Basin

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Q,
I'm one of those slobs who must have permanent filters on my email server that preclude me from accessing photos posted on webshots. I keep trying hoping I'll get through and never succeed. It's frustrating, because like your shots, Giantbrookie also used that venue for photos of his trip into Blue Canyon, and I'd love to see them (almost as much as I'd love to go there myself). Anyway, one possible solution would be if the rather complicated process of embedding photos could be simplified. So, I'm gonna ask the pros if that's possible.
Otherwise, I agree that it's pretty amazing how atmospheric conditions can change in the Sierras. On an early July trip this year, my wife and I had days where we could barely see a quarter mile (due to the smoke from the fires up North), and overnight the visibility would improve drastically, only to turn to crap by sunset.
CG
Codester
Topix Acquainted

Post by Codester »

The problem seems to be on the WebShots side. They won't let you view the image with its actual URL because they don't want people to copy and save pictures out of people's albums. I use photobucket which works very well for posting pictures on forums. For example, it will give me a URL that goes directly to my image (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/c ... G_5006.jpg) so all i have to do is place that URL between Image
With webshots, they don't give you a link directly to the image, instead they link it to a page with the image on it.. So the problem lies with the image host that people are using. I would maybe give photobucket a try.
I hope this makes sense.

By the way, those pictures are awesome! When i went backpacking there a few weeks ago, i was impressed by that mountain. I had a camp site near hungry packer and heard a huge rockslide just before it got dark. It probably lasted about 5 minutes. I stared and stared at the mountain, but couldn't see where it was coming from.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

CG, I remember you had that issue with my Blue Lake trip photos last year. I definitely need to switch from Webshots!

Codester, thanks for the explanation! Is Photobucket easy to use? I know several people use Smug Mug and I was thinking of checking that out. Yeah, there were a surprising number of small rockslides I heard when I was down in the cirque. It's a deceptive ridge, because most of it is very solid, but then suddenly you find yourself in loose garbage. My one hairy moment was when two rather large rocks, which I hadn't even touched, rolled down onto my foot. I had visions of that guy who had to gnaw his own hand off when it got trapped under a boulder, but luckily, I was able to excavate myself without harm. One of the perils of hiking solo.
Codester
Topix Acquainted

Post by Codester »

yeah, the ridge looks pretty gnarly from down below. I absolutely loved fishing in that area, especially with that mountain as a backdrop. I'm anxious to get back there in that area for at least one more trip this year. Lucky you didn't need to gnaw your arm or leg off!!
Photobucket is actually very user friendly. Once you get an album put up, they then have all of the URL codes for posting to forums, IMs, email, etc displayed right below the pictures. You click on the code and it automatically copies the code. THere's no need for cut and paste or any of that. I dig it!
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Thanks to Trail Blazer, the Webshots mystery is finally solved. I post a few pictures below (pictures of my climb of Haeckel are now on the rock climbing board):

Fall foliage around Lake Sabrina:

Lone boatman:

Reaching Sabrina basin:

Picture Peak (left), Haeckel (rt):

Mt. Emerson in the mist:

The color was even better on the way out:
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Nice shots and beautiful fall colors. Thanks for the report!

Don't know if anyone still cares, but there is a way (a bit complicated, I'll allow) to embed photos in posts for people who use Webshots as their online photo host. Once you're at the page of the photo you want to embed, click on the "link to it" link to the right of the photo and it'll give you the option of posting the photo in five different sizes: 100px, 200px, 425px, 500px, or 600px wide. Once you select your preferred size, copy the url under "direct link to image" and paste it between the [img ] [/img ] tags. Other than that little hiccup I like using Webshots as much as any other host. Photobucket only allows you a certain number of photos, or at least it did when I used to use it.

Matt
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Very beautiful pictures! I have not yet been to that basin...looks lovely. Picture Peak has been on my to do list for a while.
Thanks for posting